Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Not only that, Apple is able to squeeze more out the A6 then some of the processors in the top end Android phones. Iphone still has the fastest browser so far on a phone. Gpu performance on iphone 5 kills the competition as of right now so im confused as well

The new chrome beta demolishes safari in ios 6. Also the snapdragon s4 pro has a faster gpu than the a6 and it completely destroys the a6 in cpu based benchmarks.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Also the snapdragon s4 pro has a faster gpu than the a6 and it completely destroys the a6 in cpu based benchmarks.

Negative.

benchmark-charts.002.jpg

50941.png

Nexus-4Optimus-G-charts.003.png

50942.png

Nexus-4Optimus-G-charts.005.png

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Umm first of all, the adreno 320 beats the iphone on egypt hd (which is the more demanding benchmark)

No. The A6 is 1.5 fps faster at native resolutions where it counts.

50938.png

and the egypt classic is vsync limited (in the android version) hence why you don't see it above 60.

It managed 78.2 fps vs the iPhone's 91 in Anand's graph.

50941.png

The snapdragon s4 pro is a much faster chip.

No, if anything, it's on par or slightly below the dual core A6 in real world application benchmarks.

I've seen much higher linpack scores for the nexus 4 and optimus g.

If they're legit non-OC'd scores and include the iPhone 5 in their graph, please post them.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The new chrome beta demolishes safari in ios 6. Also the snapdragon s4 pro has a faster gpu than the a6 and it completely destroys the a6 in cpu based benchmarks.

Negative. The S4 pro's gpu is just oh so slightly under the tri core A6 GPU. As for FLOPS, the S4 pro on paper should blow the A6 out but it doesnt in the real world

And current Chrome on iOS isnt faster then Safari nor does it perform as good

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Negative. The S4 pro's gpu is just oh so slightly under the tri core A6 GPU. As for FLOPS, the S4 pro on paper should blow the A6 out but it doesnt in the real world

And current Chrome on iOS isnt faster then Safari nor does it perform as good

I was referring to chrome on android which is actually a separate browser. The chrome on iOS is just safari with the old JavaScript engine because apple doesn't allow this party browser engines.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
iPhone ?:

-2272x1280 4.5" SupeRetina display w/ IGZO (582 ppi)
-NFC
-Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Liquid Metal shell
-LTE (possibly LTE-A)
-Quad core A7 (or A8) with quad core graphics
-1-2 GB RAM
-iOS 7 (or 8)

Rather than announcing one new iPhone, I believe Apple will do two.

One based on the current 4" iPhone, and one much larger. I'm thinking 5.4" 2272x1280 display w/ IGZO (483 ppi).

This way people that are interested in a smaller phone have a choice, and no compromise is needed on the upper end.

The iPhone 5 drops to $99, and the 4S to zero.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I was referring to chrome on android which is actually a separate browser. The chrome on iOS is just safari with the old JavaScript engine because apple doesn't allow this party browser engines.

Im waiting for iOS 6.1 where Apple made Safari even faster then it is now as they always update Safari every .1 patch

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I am a big Nexus Android nerd, would be happy to come back to an iPhone. But hardware spec's are not keeping me away, it's the OS. Apple needs to overhaul iOS, update the stale grid of app icons that haven't changed since 2007. And yes a little larger screen would be nice too, around 4.3" would be perfect, but first update iOS.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
"But, but, the Android (XYZ) does better than the A6 when you set the resolution to 1x1 and run Angry Birds with the brightness turned way down..."

Statements like that seem to be the general rebuttal from the Android crowd when the A6 tramples whatever processor they use in comparison.

It's alot like walking into a restaurant and asking "What food DON'T you have" and then when they answer saying "Ahhh that's what I HAD to have, you are a crummy restaurant!".

They pick the one crazy benchmark that the A6 falls a tick or two behind in and act like it's the only one that means anything (saying it's a more "demanding" test lol...).

Face it, Apple did a GREAT job with the iPhone hardware. Despite the lame argument of NFC being a "big" deal, there's really no argument from anyone unbiased that the iP5 is a beast. It's not everything, but it IS funny how much the fandroids have been put on their heels. They are so used to having the "but ours has more benchmarks" argument that now that they don't (or it's at least EVEN), suddenly they don't matter any more.

It's a great study in human defensiveness.

The iP5 is PLENTY "innovative". Sorry.

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
*DISCLAIMER* - The word "critic" in this case is not a negative thing. By this I mean those who genuinely feel Apple is falling behind. I'm just curious what those who have used iPhones in the past and have either recently switched or are contemplating switching are thinking about the future iPhones and what it would take for Apple to regain their spot at the top. Please read the WHOLE post before commenting....

iPhone ?:

-2272x1280 4.5" SupeRetina display w/ IGZO (582 ppi)
-NFC
-Corning Gorilla Glass 3
-Liquid Metal shell
-LTE (possibly LTE-A)
-Quad core A7 (or A8) with quad core graphics
-1-2 GB RAM
-iOS 7 (or 8)

Obviously the big kicker would be how iOS evolves from here (given new leadership with Cue, Ive and Federighi) - but with Apple undoubtedly being forced into a bigger screen, they could shut everyone up and make the other OEMs pee themselves by simply doubling the current iP5 resolution (less work for devs) and adding IGZO. Not only would they continue to have the most accurate display in the biz, they'd have the undisputed champion of them - probably for some time (depending on when this would be viable).

The other big question mark is the liquid metal shell - which will come at some point, we just don't know when. I tell you what - give me this phone and an iOS with Ive's design expertise and some tweaked software enhancements and Apple is back on top.

What do ya'll think it would take for Apple to grab back the crown?

Yes I think a larger wider phone is key.

Both IOS 6 and Jellybean have their advantages. Jellybean seems a little fresher but IOS is very intuitive and a mature but outstanding platform.

Despite having multiple devices in an Apple ecosystem I bought a S3 because I refuse to browse the web with such a small screen and adding only vertical real estate does little to increase browsing utility.

22 million S3 smart phone buyers apparently agreed paid a premium for a Samsung phone that was squarely positioned price wise etc in Apple's premium space. Apple allowed themselves to be beaten in the premium space they created by one again having this let them eat cake philosophy. 4" phone is the appropriate size those that don't agree let them eat cake

Well samsung has been selling a lot of Cake

Apple was once way ahead in the burgeoning PC space yet they squandered the lead to a company with an inferior OS (Microsoft.)

I hope Apple's hubris does not cause the same fall here. It's been a long road for Apple to rise from a niche OS maker to the most valued Tech company in the world.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
No to LTE Advance and no to liquid metal shell. Apple is still trying to roll out LTE let alone Advance.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Im waiting for iOS 6.1 where Apple made Safari even faster then it is now as they always update Safari every .1 patch

Chrome is updated completely seperate from the OS version. Chrome has been update like 3 times in the past two weeks.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Chrome is updated completely seperate from the OS version. Chrome has been update like 3 times in the past two weeks.

Yeah but usually when a OS update comes, Apple does a great job of being right in the pack in browser performance and even edges everyone by a little bit as shown in several browser benchmarks.

I seen Droid DNA browser in action and its fast dont get me wrong, but it still checkerboards when you pinch to zoom in and out. Not on the iPhone

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Would these specs shut-up Apple critics?
No set of specs would shut up all critics. Why care what they think anyway? Each person needs to use whatever works for that person. No one device will ever be one-size-fits-all.

What do ya'll think it would take for Apple to grab back the crown?
Couldn't care less about "the crown". It's whether it meets my needs/wants or not that matter to me. The crown is just for fanboys to gloat over.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The specs are decent but they need to switch to android for their next device and drop ios all together.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

And actuAlly on my brothers note 2, the stock browser is fastet then Google Chrome browser on Android

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.