Would this be a good idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomthedude, Jun 15, 2008.

1. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Hi all,

Im currently trying to save for an iMac, but I cant get enough money. I was wondering, would it work to by iMac G4s, Powerbooks, iBooks etc, upgrade them, and then sell them for more?
    -Tom-

2. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

I'm guessing there's pretty low demand for PPC machines plus the small margins you'd have. 'Fraid not. :/

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Perhaps a Mac Mini (Intel) would be easier to achieve .. :)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you spent $200 upgrading a PPC-era Mac, I'm sure it would raise the value of a Mac by at least $80. ;)

5. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Don't take this the wrong way but a part time job or a few extra shifts at your part time job and your 'done'...none of this ebay bandit nonsense to sully your day...PPC era is officially dead - snow leopard just put a bullet in it...

6. ibookluv111 macrumors member

PPC is not even close to dead. There are tons of PPC machines still going for a lot on eBay. Look at the Powerbook G4's and iMac and Powermac G5's. They are still going for LOTS! You obviously haven't been looking at recent prices. I have in the last year bought an iBook G3, upgraded it. Sold it and made money. Bought a Powerbook G4, upgraded it, sold it. Now I have an iBook G4 am in the Process of upgrading it and am looking into an iMac G5.

7. ibookluv111 macrumors member

I would though, agree that it would be easiest to work more and save. You have to monitor your spending like crazy to make sure you come out with a profit upgrading systems.