Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fstigre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Hi,

Let’s pretend I want to make a clean install of the OS because it was running slow or had any other problems and I have everything backed-up in time machine and will restore my apps and documents using the migration assistant.

Will this be considered a clean install? It won’t carry any of the previews
problems?

Thanks,
fstigre

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Yes, that is a clean install. As long as you format the harddrive, and install the new OS over it (which gives you new and fresh system files) it is a clean install.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
No it wont be a clean install as you will be transferring your old system preferences over.

If you want a "clean" install manually drag your docs from the TM drive.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Wrong. SL will enable old system preferences options with new ones. It'll automatically link the old to the new.
Still, a clean install to me means nuking your drive, installing apps fresh from their source and dragging data to the drive - no migration assistant involved, all prefs are rebuilt. All OS/App settings are at defaults.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Still, a clean install to me means nuking your drive, installing apps fresh from their source and dragging data to the drive - no migration assistant involved, all prefs are rebuilt. All OS/App settings are at defaults.

Yeah, that's what I'd call a clean install too.

Start fresh - don't transfer any preferences or settings. Reinstall all applications and then just manually transfer all documents over.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I must be missing something as far as "clean install" on a Mac.

I understand that after a period of time, extra files can get left in the operating system causing a bit of clutter but how would that affect the operation of the Kernel? It's not like Windows where everything gets slow when junk accumulates.

For instance, when upgrading to Snow Leopard, doesn't the basic OS get replaced with "fresh" files while everything else (preferences, applications etc.) remain which have no effect on how the OS runs?

Every thread I read about a clean install vs. upgrade gives me sense of the old Windows paradigm where clean installs were a common (and necessary) occurance.

So I guess my question is why would the Mac OS need a clean install (besides cleaning up un-necessary files)?

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I must be missing something as far as "clean install" on a Mac.

I understand that after a period of time, extra files can get left in the operating system causing a bit of clutter but how would that affect the operation of the Kernel? It's not like Windows where everything gets slow when junk accumulates.

For instance, when upgrading to Snow Leopard, doesn't the basic OS get replaced with "fresh" files while everything else (preferences, applications etc.) remain which have no effect on how the OS runs?

Every thread I read about a clean install vs. upgrade gives me sense of the old Windows paradigm where clean installs were a common (and necessary) occurance.

So I guess my question is why would the Mac OS need a clean install (besides cleaning up un-necessary files)?

This is a good discussion. I've been toying with doing this and it would be my first "clean" install. One of the worries I have is permissions of the files afterwards. Will my userid end up the same as it is now? Do I have to recreate my account exactly the same? Will my files actually make it back from their backup (gulp!)?

I still have to go through and make a list of all of my apps, make sure I have the installs for them handy (or can get them), etc.

I installed SL over Leopard this weekend and it was smooth. I'd hardly call it "snappier" but the install was easy...

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
My two cents... I installed SL over Leopard on my early 2008 MBP. Prior to the upgrade I was having issues with my machine being laggy and slow, nothing major but annoying. I backed everything up, erased my hard drive and did a clean install of SL and a restore using Time Machine. Sluggishness still abounds. I used migration assistant so I am assuming any old "junk" or preferences related to the sluggishness transferred as well. Next step is a real clean install as stated earlier in this thread. I'll keep you informed on how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.