Would this be considered a cycle?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onne2slick, Jun 11, 2010.

1. onne2slick macrumors regular

If I left my charger on my MBP (and it's at 100% for example) as I keep using it, obviously the battery level goes down.. but I have my charger plugged in, so it will stay at 100% but eventually, the draining of the battery will add up

Is this considered a cycle ? Or only when it's running on the battery (without charger)?

Hopefully I'm clear with what i'm saying.. i'm all new to this

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

im confused :confused:, what exactly is your question? if you have the charger plugged in all the time (which i do not recommend, as it will decrease its overall capacity/health over time) the charge on the battery stays at 100%. This is not considered a cycle, because when the battery is at 100% and the charger is connected, it doesn't use the battery and the computer runs off of the AC power. A cycle is when the battery is drained fully and then charged fully. For example, if you use your computer until the battery gets to 50% and you charge it back up, this is considered half of a cycle. If you do this twice, it is then a full cycle. I hope i answered your question (which I did not fully understand). :)

3. onne2slick thread starter macrumors regular

Yea actually, you did answer my question :p
    Sorry for the confusion!

So, currently my cycle is at 4 (I purchased couple days ago).
    If I were to use my laptop for the entire year plugged in with the AC power (which I won't do.. but just a scenario) than my cycle will still be at 4, correct?

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

yes you are correct. try to do at least 10 cycles per month, though. I normally do 40-60 cycles peer month

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Consider a car with a full tank of fuel. You decide to leave the car at home whilst you go on holiday. When you return from your long break you find the tank still full. How much fuel (to the nearest tank full) did you put imto the car whilst you were away (ignoring evaporation)?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you leave it plugged in 100% of the time, the battery will still slowly discharge (while losing capacity as well).

Let's say your battery can store 1000 units of power. Every 1000 units discharged and then recharged will count as a full cycle; that means one full 1000 units, two 500 units, one 250 units and one 750 units, etc.

For this instance when you are plugged in all the time, you may lose only 1 unit once in a while and when that unit is discharged it will be charged back up. If this is repeated 1000 times it will be a full cycle.

Hope that helps.

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Don't know about the OP, but this helped me a lot :)