Would this be covered on AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soupyjnr, Jan 26, 2008.

1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Hello,

Just a quick question. If I was to get AppleCare and I dropped my MacBook and it broke, say for example, the screen craked - would this be covered by AppleCare? What all is actually covered?

Cheers

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Accidental damage is not covered. It covers defects in parts and workmanship for 2 additional years after the 1 year warranty.

Check out the MR Guide on AppleCare.

3. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool - thanks for the link :) So it basicly covers insides of the computer if they malfucntion, as long as its not the users fault I guess.

Im from the UK and was wanting to know if the phone support is any good? Is it worth extending it... what does that include? What are they there for, like to offer informaiton and help on and and do they really care? Are they nice people?

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If your screen did crack, all I can say is ouch. That will be a costly repair. Tell us what exactly broke with pics and we as the forum can give you suggestions.

5. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey - well I havnt actually got a MacBook yet and Ive worked out what im going to have in it and what im gonna upgrade - but I just cant decide whether to pay for AppleCare - its an extra £199 but since I am buying my MacBook on education discount, I get 3 years free warranty but I can pay £47 to extend the 90 days complimentary phone support and I want to know if I should pay £47... like is it worth it?

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Buying the Applecare is going to be up to you. I don't know if you know the rule of thumb with electronics but they always seem to experience problems right after that one year mark. And that is the typical warranty that companies give their products now.

Take in consideration if your LCD goes out on its own and you don't have Applecare that will be a pricey expense.

I wouldn't worry too much about Apple phone support sense MacRumors users have a lot of experience to help you out with any troubles.

7. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a true point! What would you do. Fork out £47 for extended phone support or just leave it the way it is, with the free 3 years warranty?

8. f1 macrumors 6502

Applecare is a gamble. You spend 200+ dollars on it, and you could have a stellar machine that doesn't break for three years and than you're out 200+ dollars. Or you don't buy it and your logic board fails a day out of warranty...:(

9. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

So, let me get this straight....if you buy a Macbook (or any apple computer) and you get the HE discount, do you automatically get the 3year warranty? I thought you only got the warranty if you bought apple care?!

And, i thought apple-care was the 3year warranty on parts, with 1year phone support?

I'm confused! :eek:

10. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey :)

If you buy a MacBook on the normal UK Store :

• AppleCare is £199
    • This is to extend the one year warranty to three years
    • This also includes an extension of the 90 days complimentary phone support, which moves upto 3 years as well

and :

If you buy a MacBook on the Higher Education Store (UK) :

• AppleCare is £47
    • However if you dont pay £47, you still get 3 years warranty free, as your buying it on Higher Education Store
    • However, to extend the 90 days complimentary phone support, you have to pay the £47

However Im not sure if this applies to MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, or any other product, but a live chat apple sales rep. told me this the other day.

Hope this helps

PS : What would you do? Would you pay for £47?

11. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Hell yes it helps! I never chuffin realised that as a stdent you get the 3years warranty anyways! That cheeky Patrick on apples chat told me that i needed apple-care to get 3 years warranty!

Being a student is good after all! And since i'm planning on becoming a teacher, and my wife works at uni, looks like cheap apple products all my life :D

Thanks for clearing it up, you just saved me £47, the wife will be most impressed!!!!!

12. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

If you're a student, look into Barclays Student Possessions insurance. My ex girlfriend dropped my G4 Powerbook just before christmas and I sent it off to my insurance company and on the 2nd week of January, they sent me a brand new Macbook Pro :eek:

I think I pay about £100 a year but thats because I have the maximum computer cover because I have a high spec PC as well as my laptop, but you can alter the levels of what cover you want to make it cheaper.

13. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

You should check with them on Monday - but I was told by two of the representitives that its included cause Im a student - if they say you need to buy it - let me know!

14. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that - Im going to look into that now

15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I never realised that either. The guy on the phone yesterday was trying to tell me how much of a bargain the AppleCare is for students. Well not if it only extends telephone support (and only to a year)

16. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it extends it to three years :)

17. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Just did some research there, just to check to see if I had got it wrong or not! I found this link - Click Here

Hope this helps

18. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

We must stop these falsities from Patrick and friends! They're trying to sell us phone care which we will never use! naughty naughty

Thanks again for the info, i'll see what they have to say for themselves on monday!

19. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

lol I have to say I love the way we talk about them like we know them 'Patrick and friends' lol

No problems mate, anytime!

Go onto thier website on monday and see what they say and let us know :)

20. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Confirmed!

Hello. Just spoke to Apple on the phone, and they confirmed that basicly if you buy a macbook on the Higher Education store, you would get a 3 year limited parts and labour warranty with your higher education purchase, but this would not include the Unlimited Phone Support - you can get the Unlimited Phone Support for £47.

Hope this helps

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

£47 for 33 extra months of Phone support doesn't sound too bad to me.

22. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I guess its worth it like

23. efp722 macrumors regular

is that only in the UK???