Would this be dumb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by L I G H T I N G, Jul 20, 2011.

1. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Many iphone/ipod accessories are cheap now, discounts and time have all lowered the price. I'm thinking of stocking up cases and screenshields so when the new version comes around, I can alternate and customize the exterior to many different colors and different designs. Of course I am also risking the fact that there could be a new redesign in iphone5/ipod touch 5g which would completely neutralize my plan.

iPhone5 rumors has it that there will be same form factor as the 4 and weren't 3g and 3gs cases interchangeable.

iPod touch 5g may be even thinner but I think it has reached its limit and weren't 2g and 3g touch cases also interchangeable.

What do you guys make of my decision? Useless? Risky? Dumb? Interesting? Peculiar? I haven't bought any cases so I can still not purchase them.

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Screen covers would be a great idea, as iPhone ones rarely change, and the same goes for iPod touch screen covers.

As for cases, I personally wouldn't. But it might not hurt to get a few if you plan to go through a lot of cases.

3. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I'm thinking they will do something with the antenna since the one phone will work on both ATT and Verizon so that may end up causing a problem with current cases. Also there is always the chance that the screen could be a little bigger which would make all current screen protectors completely useless.

4. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

Screencovers seems to be lock to be the same barring significant change in design,I doubt the facetime camera will be upgraded anytime soon.(no facetime over 3G)

True although iPhone has a much higher chance of having a larger screen than ipod touch 5g( at least according to the rumors)

5. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Most of the good cases haven't dropped in price. When they'll really get cheap is if the next iPhone has a different form factor. Then you'll be able to score some deals.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

You can always get cases, screen covers, power cords, etc. on eBay for next to nothing. Don't know why you'd risk buying a bunch of stuff you may never use or be able to get rid of.

7. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Wow dude that's pretty smart.

I'm not too sure about cases, but I know people love those screen covers. I see malls always have a small place for screen protectors, with 2 people working there so it must be a lucrative business.

Here's a place with a good screen protector, it also prevents finger prints.
    Screen Protector

I always thought this was handy, i'm not sure what the market is for them, its one of those case chargers, that bad thing is they cost more.
    Charging Case

You can buy in bulk from them, but you have to call in to place those orders I think. I buy from them when they have something good for cheap.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

So far Ive bought ;

Pdair leather vertical bumper friendly case with belt clip.
    Rocket fish silicone gel push on case.
    Rocket fish bumper case.
    SGP carbon shield for the rear of the phone.
    Phone devil rear shield.
    Gear4 front and back shields.
    Zagg full body shield.

Ive not used all the shields but they are there just in case and the shields seem to remain at the same cost.

I prefer to go and visit my retail outlets to see whats new on the shelves.

The cases are the ones that tend to be on sale.

9. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought two cases that cost 24.99 for under 5$ each.
    Thats a dramatic drop if you ask me.

I have never been a big time internet shopper, I always check out the stores and get the "life" experience with the products, sure ebay, amazon cases may be cheap but its like refurbished devices, they always smell fishy to me.

Zagg prices never drop anyways, 25$ for one cover which has sticky residue while applying just isn't a good deal.

I rather get packs of screen protectors from belkin or riot. I get extra "lives" if I happen to mess up , fortunately I know some people who can put on a screen protector quite nicely.