Would this be legal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by G.T., Sep 3, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I had an iBook running tiger which is now mums. I brought a unibody pro running leopard in 2008 and have now upgraded to Snow Leopard. Would it be legal to use the leopard disc on the iBook considering the MBP is now running SL? I won't be installing it because the iBook isn't that powerful so will keep tiger but I was just wondering if it is allowed cause technically there is only one version being used at anytime.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Nevermind legal. It's not technically possible. The gray discs are tied to the hardware they shipped with.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Only if you purchased the full version of sl. If it's an upgrade then technically it's not legal as it wasn't intended for use on that machine.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Chances are that it won't work as the version of leopard you have will be specific to your machine. If it did work then legally I don't think you are doing anything wrong as you still are only using one license!

5. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh right ok well was just wondering

I think you missunderstood

ok thanks I thought it would be ok cause it would only be one licence but didn't know that the disc would be specific to the machine.

6. Macmel macrumors 6502

There are ways to remove the "check computer ID" instruction from the installer, but it involves creating an image of the DVD on your computer, editing it and burning it again. Never did it, but I have seen sites describing it.

7. GarethWyn macrumors newbie

You can plug the iBook into the MBP (the installer disc is from) and run it in hard drive mode (or something like that). Insert the installer disc (in the MBP) and set the target HDD to the iBook. This is a very quick version of the process but a simple search will get you some instructions!

It works but you may have issues with running Leopard on an iBook!

8. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Do you really want to run Leopard on an iBook? In my opinion Tiger would be more suited to the iBook anyway.

9. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I said it was just me wondering on the legal aspect and I wasn't going to do it even if it is fine cause tiger would run better

I said it was just me wondering on the legal aspect and I wasn't going to do it even if it is fine cause tiger would run better

10. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

You already answered your question in the OP

11. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thought so but was just checking