Would this be ok for my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g5604, Mar 20, 2008.

1. g5604 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a long time Windows user thinking of moving to Mac :) I am a web designer and sometime illustrator so i need a fairly fast machine but nothing crazy.

Would a 2.4gHZ 15in, 4gb RAM MBP be ok? I need it to be able to run a 24inch and 19inch display. I don`t have a massive need for a laptop but it sure would be nice, 95% of time in will be used as a desktop. Is there any dock/stand available and can you close the laptop when its hooked up to the external screens?

thanks.
    g

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

The MBP, like most laptops, only drives ONE external screen by default, so you'd need something like a Matrox DualHead2Go if you want to run two external screens. You can, of course, run internal and external simultaneously.

Yes, you can run the MBP with an external display when closed. There are a number of stands available - personally I use a Griffin iCurve, but there are plenty of alternatives. You don't really need a dock as the ports on the machine are full-size and very easy to access.

Other than the dual monitor issue you should be fine. I use a 17" 2.4 MBP to run Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Dreamweaver, and it works beautifully.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

in my opinion the specification of the machine would accommodate your needs perfectly, based on your description of how you intend to use the machne....

4. g5604 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, great info :)

Would there be a performance problem running two screens of a MBP?