Would this be possible? (in regards to activating iPhone and starting AT&T contract)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kappaman210, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kappaman210 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I got an iPhone for christmas, but have not been able to activate it since I've been overseas since the 20th. I'm going to start a new contract with AT&T when I get home this Friday, but I've been thinking: would it not be possible for me to start a new contract online through newegg (thus allowing me to get a free phone and then sell it on ebay) and then just transfer the number to the iPhone after?

The phone I have my eye on is this one, since it seems like such a good deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875353015

The only problem that I could potentially foresee would be these terms and conditions that Newegg has:

Equipment Discount Information: If I purchase a new wireless communication service plan from AT&T (which is not a substitute for an existing service plan I have with AT&T) through Newegg.com, and purchase a new wireless communication device, such as a cell phone, from Newegg.com, as part of the same order, the price for the device will include a discount of $250.00 (the "Equipment Discount"). I MUST REIMBURSE NEWEGG.COM THE AMOUNT OF THE EQUIPMENT DISCOUNT, IF I DO NOT MAINTAIN THE WIRELESS COMMUNICATION SERVICE PLAN PURCHASED AS PART OF THE ORDER IN GOOD STANDING FOR A MINIMUM OF 181 DAYS AFTER ACTIVATION. The wireless communication service plan will be considered "not to be in good standing" if:
    -I fail to pay the balance due by the payment due date in any month.
    -I cancel the service.
    -I change the service plan to a different service plan with a lower monthly service rate.
    -I transfer the equipment to another service plan.
    -I transfer any phone number associated with the service plan to another service plan.
    -I use the service plan purchased as part of the same order to replace an existing service plan I have with the same company.

Anybody have any prior knowledge on this issue? I'd really like to purchase from newegg if possible, but I don't want to be charged $250 when I change phones. I definitely would not change the service plan though, if anything I would increase it from the lowest one.

Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get it, and just jailbreak, hackctivate iPhone, so you are on one contract.

The trade off is that you will be behind on firmware updates, and potential problems with the hack. Benefit is that free phone.

You might also want to send AT&T an email and see if you can transfer an "existing contract" to an iPhone contract. If possible, that would be the best way.

3. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Yes you can. I just activated an iPhone. I got the free phone though. Activated that then went home and activated the iPhone. The free phone is just a back up now.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

If your a pre-existing AT&T customer then you can transfer from contract to contract with ease. If the iPhone is the phone bringing you into the AT&T family then you will have to pay a fine for exiting the contract for the first phone.

I recently checked this as when i got my iPhone i was told i could upgrade for a 50 dollar fee.

Went to the store and was informed that people who already have AT&T contracts before entering a two year contract are able to transfer to new contracts free of charge.

5. kappaman210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? So it's a $50 fee? That kind of sucks. It also makes me wonder if newegg would make me pay them $250 for some reason.

6. kappaman210 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump, but does anybody else have any insight regarding this?

7. Randall Morgan macrumors newbie

I was already an ATT customer. I got the iPhone for Christmas and just activated the iPhone. No charges but my pre-existing contracts was extended two years from the date of iPhone activation.

8. Aries326 macrumors 6502

If I were you, I would complain to them. Why would they extend your other contracts if your iPhone contract has nothing to do with your other phones? it's not like you lumped them all together in one big family plan.

Going back to the free phone from NewEgg. Conceivably, you can get that phone from newegg with a 2 year contract. The sim that came with that phone is now activated. Swap it out with the sim on your iPhone. It should work. Now, call AT&T and ask them to add on EDGE to your contract. Now you could go sell the other phone.

I'm not sure exactly what happens when you activate the iPhone. I imagine you're only really activating the SIM and number, nothing is "turning" on inside the iPhone to make it work with AT&T. If that were the case, people wouldn't be able to unlock the phone and make is usable with other carriers.

Which gives me an idea. If a new 16gb 3G phone comes out, I'll "buy" a Blackberry from Wirefly, activate it, buy a new iPhone, swap out the sim and sell the blackberry. The blackberry alone should cover half the price of the iPhone, at least. My current iPhone, I can give to the wife. ;)