Would this be possible using an AirPort express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Sep 2, 2008.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

We've got a wireless network set up at our home and we don't want to change the modem/router.

In that case, would this be possible?

I got a MacBook + 1TB Firewire drive in my bedroom.
    Can I connect an Airport Express to the Firewire drive (how?) and use the Firewire connection when I'm in my bedroom and when I'm somewhere else in the house with my MacBook, connect to it using the wireless network?

The drive is a Iomega Ultramax 1TB Drive.

Thanks in advance

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not possible. Airport Express only has USB on it, and it's only for printers. You should look into a time capsule.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Exactly! and u can even plug a USB hdd into that also and use it as a file share - you can configure the external hdd in the airport utility

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK, so with a Time Capsule this WILL be possible, right?

Can I connect the drive to my Macbook (firewire) then and still have it connected to the Time Capsule so other people can see the drive as well? (be it over the wireless network)

Does the time capsule have to be connected to a modem/router whatever or can it just be on my room?

Can I connect my firewire drive to the time capsule but still keep it as a 'separate' drive. I don't want one 2TB drive, but two separate 1TB drives. One for media storage, one for back-ups.

And how do you guys feel about an Airport Extreme?
    It's the same as a TC but without the HD, right?
    So all of this would be possible with the AE as well (except for the back-ups?)

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yes the time capsule will do this, not sure about having it connected to the macbook and then plugging it into the timecapsule, i think it formats the drive just for the time capsule, maybe someone here can correct me on that. If you plug the drive in to the time capsule it will appear as 2 separate drives not one big one. From what i have read you will not be able to store your time capsule backups from your mac on the external drive. I believe the airport extreme is just the same without the hdd. Not sure if a hdd can be plugged into this one though someone else could correct me on this?

6. jsgrabo macrumors regular

An external hdd can be plugged into the airport extreme via usb. You can plug your macbook into the time capsule via ethernet which will net high transfer speeds then wireless.

The time capsule comes in 500gb and 1tb versions. If you are plugging that external hdd into the timecapsule for extra space, I would just buy the airport extreme and plug the external hdd into that. if you need more space, you can use a usb hub to hook up more hdds or even printers.

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Alright, thanks a lot.

I'm trying to sort my aTV problems first, and if that doesn't work .. I'll do this.
    Kinda make my notebook my 'portable' aTV, while all the movies are stored on a separate drive which can be accessed over the wireless network.

8. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

This is getting ridiculous, screw the AppleTV.

If anyone want a hacked 40GB brand new AppleTV, drop me a line, haha.

On topic:

We have a wireless 802.11b/g network at home and we can't replace the Router to an N-speed router, because it's too much of a hassle ... ie. it's not worth it.

So, If I connect an airport extreme to my external 1TB drive, I can access it over the wireless network right?

And will the speed be high enough for wireless video streaming?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes you can access the 1tb if its been connected to the airport extreme.

wireless video streaming over 802.11g really is not worth it.

a dvd video will ONLY JUST stream with no other network activity. if you have BR/HD DVD movies then goodluck with that (not going to work at all).

10. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

OK man, thanks for the heads up.