Would this be the best option?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chalmc80, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Chalmc80 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy the new version of the Mac Airs after waiting for months.

Need an opinion on what Air model to go for as I think there's three possibilities - 11" with 64GB, 11" with 128GB or 13" with 128GB. (REMEMBER: no matter which one I pick I would upgrade to 8GB RAM)

I recently got a 128GB SSD for my Windows PC - OCZ Agility 3 - so would my best option be the 64GB + 8GB RAM and do a swap with my SSD I already have? Would the SSD I have even work? Or worse performance than the one Apple use? Don't want to buy something high end then put something in that would have an adverse affect.

I've never had a Mac before so if I go for the option above I would also need a setup or how to do a clean install?

If I put my SSD into the Mac I'd probably put the original HDD into my laptop and sell it to get some money back. Then use the 64GB I took out the Mac as external or sell it.

Are there any other differences between the two 11" versions other than SSD space?

What's the best plan?
    A) Buy base 11" model then put in my SSD
    B) Buy 11" 128GB model

Any advice welcome!

2. danetello macrumors 6502

The macbook air has the flash memory soldered into the motherboard so it is impossible to replace it with an SSD. I would suggest going with the second option.