Would this combo be good for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeArtworks, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Just got my iMac 2 days ago, haven't opened it yet. I feel like I can better return it, as I might not have much use of it. I have a 4k LG usb c screen, which can dock to my MacBook Pro already, which runs it quite well, powers it and has extra USB ports.

I might just get an iPad, and then have a combo if MacBook Pro 13 inch and iPad Pro.

What do you think of this combo:

MacBook Pro 13 inch
    LG27UD88 4k usb C screen
    iPad Pro 10.5 inch

I can put both of them in my school bag, and use the macbook when I'll be coding and stuff like that in school, and use the iPad Pro with pencil for Math notes.

Then when I get home I can plug in my MacBook Pro 13", use the big screen for coding & photoshop.

Do you think this'd work?

ALSO side question. Does duet display work properly now, so I could use the iPad Pro as a secondary display in school for my Macbook?

Thanks!

2. imanidiot Suspended

Without intending to cause offense, your query invites the question: given that you don't think you will use it (the iMac) because you already have a set-up in place which serves your needs, yet just got it 2 days ago but haven't opened it, why did you buy it in the first place? I mean, did you ask yourself why you were buying something that you don't think you need while making the decision to buy it? It sort of doesn't make any sense.

3. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,

Yes there is sort of a reason. My MacBook Pro (13") somehow lagged on a 4k monitor. Then between ordering the iMac, and receiving it, I found out what was wrong and I fixed it. Now my Macbook handles it properly. Basically, the only thing I got the iMac for was so I can run Photoshop on a big screen, as the Macbook wasn't able to do it at the time of ordering for me.

Only thing now the iMac could improve for me is gaming performance, however, I think it might be better to get an eGPU now, seeing I already have a 700 euro (so high end) 4k monitor, and an i7 tb MBP 13". Am I right?

4. imanidiot Suspended

I see. Yes, then by all means return the iMac and save the money.

5. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

I think you should return the iMac that you just purchased and just keep the setup with the MacBook Pro 13 inch,LG 4k usb C screen, and the iPad Pro 10.5 inch.

6. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

any idea if the egpu kit works for gaming?