Would this destroy my HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Iglio, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Iglio macrumors regular

So i'm getting RAM tomarow and I have a small screw driver that is barely magnetic, as in it can only hold the screws used to take out the small screws that you need to take out to get to the RAM. BEfore i knew that it was this magnetic i used it to open a screw on the furthest side of the mac, which is far from the HD and nothing happened. I'm just wondering if a magnetic of such low power would effect my mac...i don't rly think so

2. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Not really. But something really strong (like a subwoofer/amplifier) might cause some damage. My gf once left her Macbook about a foot away from my Z-5500 subwoofer but even then there were no issues to be frank (thankfully) But yeah, I would never try that again !

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

You should be fine. The professional HDD erasers I have seen use some serious current and put out some serious Teslas.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No issues my friend. I always use magnetic screw drivers. Just keep rare earth magnets away!

I think the Z-5500 subwoofer is shielded.

5. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Good to know that. But what exactly does "shielded" imply ? I have seen small pins etc cling on to the front grille of the subwoofer. That means it does have a strong magnetic field around it, right ?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

:eek: Sorry, I was wrong. They are not shield, but the satellites are.

Anyways 'shielded' means it has stuff to limit the magnetic field, so I'm wrong...