Would this drive work in a G5 iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by afd, May 24, 2008.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

Hi there folks, could anyone please advise whether or not this Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA II 300 7200rpm 8MB Cache Hard Disk Drive OEM would work in my G5, 2.0 GHz iMac? Have tried to search online to see what the difference between a SATA and SATA II drive is but I didn't really understand. My internal drive is fast filling up with video and my external drive isn't a very good one, so I need more storage.
    Another question is, would I be better buying a better external drive than a big internal one?

2. steeler macrumors regular

Since nobody has replied to you, I thought I'd see if I can provide at least a little help.

I'm not an expert and dislike using wikipedia as a lone source of information, but here's what I found. It sounds like SATA II refers to the 3.0Gb/s SATA, but "SATA II" is not an official name for it. Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Serial ATA II is backwords compatible with SATA I the main difference is speed but SATA II also supports some more advanced features but they make no difference in compatibility.

However, 8MB of Cache:eek:, I hope that is a typo. On a 750GB HD you should be looking at a minimum 16MB Cache though most I have seen ship with 32mb cache. As for internal versus external I would go internal most 750GB drives can read/write faster than Firewire 400, although FW 800 would be fast enough those enclosures are quite expensive. Rather I would use your current internal in a Firewire enclosure. Avoid USB it is slow for Hard Drives.

4. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for replies. I had read that wiki about Sata ii but didn't really understand it.
    I think the point about the small cache has put me off the drive.
    Have looked at external enclosures, but unless they are nameless wonders from ebay, they tend to be too expensive and it'd make more sense buying one with a drive in it. I think I prob need both as the backup facility of an external drive is worth having.