Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marc the Mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of using a 12" Powerbook as my main mac connected to a Flat Panel. It seems that most of the comments about heat are generated from the hard drive - is this right?

If so would the following setup help?
At my desk I run my mac on an external Firewire drive - backing up to my Mac HD regularly. Then intensive tasks are using the external firewire instead of the internal HD. Thus reducing heat within the Powerbook.

When I need to go on the move ( i copy/backup my working files to the internal HD if necessary) I just unplug from my Flat Panel and firewire drive and I'm off. Work on the move is likely to be less intensive that the type of stuff I do at my desk.

Any thoughts?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
On paper your solution would work but in practice you will propably find it too inconvinient. Sooner or later you will end up with two copies of the same file on two drives, unable to decide which one should be deleted. In your shoes I would purchase a desktop Mac for the power and an iPod for partial portability.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I'm not sure whether seeking/reading/writing generates the most heat on the hard drive, as compared with rotation. But for most folks, the heat is not really an issue anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.