Would This Memory Layout Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JimGoshorn, Mar 15, 2009.

1. JimGoshorn macrumors 6502

JimGoshorn

I was originally thinking of getting 16gb RAM (8x2gb) on a 2.93. I primarily use Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, Painter and iWork '09. With the talk of triple channel, I had this thought instead:

3x4gb in one bank and 3x2gb in the other. I would have 2gb more RAM and stay in triple channel mode. By dropping down to the 2.66 I save $1200 plus the difference going from 16gb down to 6gb. After comparing the final totals I would only be spending $349.64 more than the 2.93.

Does this sound worthwhile and workable or would I be better off sticking with 16x2gb?

Thanks!

Jim

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I wouldn't buy 4GB memory modules right now. The prices from Apple and OWC are very high. When Nehalem is officially released and all the memory vendors have 4GB modules prices will probably be under a 3rd of what they are now from OWC. You should be able to get 24GB for under $1,000 in the next couple of months if you want triple channel.

3. MadisonTate macrumors member

Agree. Buy as little memory as possible WITH the system. DDR2 prices will be rising. DDR3 prices will be dropping. DDR3 memory may be as much as 80% cheaper this time next year.

4. JimGoshorn thread starter macrumors 6502

JimGoshorn

Thanks for the replies.

It just seems ashame that you spend all this money for a computer that Apple touts as being so fast with memory only to have it hampered by 30% because of Apple's motherboard design.

One has to wonder if Apple will rethink the design for the next generation so that it will take better advantage of the memory.

5. robinp macrumors 6502

to be honest, from what I've seen, although the overall bandwidth is lower, it barely makes any difference for most things. I would just save you money for the time being. I have 10GB (added 2x2 to the stock config) in my 8 core 2.26 and it's fine