Would this network setup work? (Extending wireless networks with ethernet)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applemax, Jan 24, 2010.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Hi!

Would this proposed network setup work?

Essentially, it's a Time Capsule with ethernet connected devices and simultaneously broadcasting a wireless N network for phones and Time Machine enabled notebooks.

However, the big question is if I can run an ethernet cable from this Time Capsule to an AirPort Extreme, that will 'extend' the wireless network so the house is fully covered yet having maximum speed.

The AirPort Extreme is too far from the Time Capsule to extend it wirelessly so can it do it via ethernet? If this doesn't make sense, I'll clarify on request! :D

Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

2. scissorband macrumors member

In theory it'd work fine but for clarification can you label the hardware in your picture? I can't tell what some of them are

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Sure.

Top left is an ADSL modem and on the right is a Blu-Ray player and an Xbox 360 :)

4. scissorband macrumors member

Both of the white boxes at the top are routers? (Sorry, I'm used to ASCII graphing)

5. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Yeah, left is the main router (Time Capsule) and right is an extender (AirPort Extreme). Can it extend a wireless network over ethernet?

6. scissorband macrumors member

I have no idea what Time Capsule and Airport Extreme is, but if both are essentially routers and you set one in bridge mode it'd work fine (which is what I do. Here is my set up:

Code:
    (internet)
        |
     [modem]
        |
     [router]~!~{wireless}~!~[router bridge]
                                    |
                               [computer]

Technically I could connect both routers with a CAT5 but that would defeat the purpose in my case (I could just use one router if I used a really long ethernet cable)

7. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

So it is possible to link two wireless routers with one in bridge mode, with both broadcasting the same wireless network and both supporting their own wired devices?

8. scissorband macrumors member

Yes, I can connect to both routers wirelessly and I can wire whatever I want to both and they will all have internet access.

But if you ever consider adding more than 2 routers to your network, you might want to think about setting up a mesh network.

9. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

OK thanks! :)

10. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Do you know how far it is in feet/meters?

Just wouldn't want to set you up for a loop limit/loss issue.

11. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

Probably about 15m of cabling. The walls are too thick to sustain an effective wireless bridge.

12. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Ah, then you should have no problem at all. It sounds like you'll use the other end like an access point very effectively. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out!

:)