Would this RAM be fine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by petersonwork, Jul 18, 2008.

1. petersonwork macrumors newbie

Hey I was looking around on this forum and others to decide where i was going to be my RAM from and I singled out OTW (Other World Computing) and I was wondering(since I don't know much about which kind i should get) if this is what I want and if it will work fine in my mac.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/64FB2MPK04GB/
    MY MAC:
    two 2.8GHz quad core Intel Xeon
    2GB RAM (want to upgrade to 6GB)(maybe 8)
    2 1GB sticks
    Type: DDR2 F8-DIMM
    Speed: 800MHz
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It looks like it would work. You could also call the company and tell them exactly what Mac you have just to double check.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Buying RAM

Guides : Hardware: MR Guide to Understanding Intel Mac RAM

OWC (MacSales) is a respected memory dealer who specializes in Macs.

In general, it's recommended to have a Search in the forums and.or a look at the Guides before posting a new question.

5. Crunz macrumors newbie

One thing about buying 3rd party memory is, although its cheap, it is more likely it'll break if "joeblogsotherworldlyninjacomputing inc" are selling it and the warranty is worthless the moment you purchase it.

The reason for this is, a 15 day money back guarantee sounds rather dodgy, statute law actually states that if you can prove the goods are defective within 6 months of purchase you are entitled to a replacement and distance selling regulations state that you are entitled to a full refund without question within 30 days of purchase provided the item is returned in its original packaging and in working order (not if you smash it and burn the packaging), at least this is true in the UK and should apply to goods like computer memory.

Secondly a lifetime warranty only guarantees you a replacement for defective goods for as long as that company is in business, if they were to go bust (become insolvent) and they're not a well known company, so are likely to do so within the lifetime of the product (which for memory is arguably several years) then that warranty becomes worthless.

It may be cheap but buying from a better-known brand would decrease the chances of you buying some very expensive paperweights.

6. Jak3 macrumors regular

Except that OWC is reputable and specialized in Macs...:cool:

7. Crunz macrumors newbie

Touche. A verbose, factual but pointless post :p I've not heard of OWC, and didn't research them but i am in the UK and thats as good a reason as any for a) being lazy and b) not knowing of them. I plead ignorance :p (irony intended).

Facts still stand though. You're "looking cool whilst being all knowing" pose is denied :p

p.s. Yes, i only read the first post in the thread, not the replies as well.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

??

OWC is a US company, UK statutes for right of return have little bearing on their website policies.

OWC has been in business for over 18 years. If you had done any research at all, or read the MR Guide, (or - what the hell, even read the next posts in the thread before letting fly with suppositions), you'd be aware that OWC are one of the most recommended companies for Mac RAM on MacRumors.

Pose as a factual and knowledgeable poster is denied.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed! The "research" would involve something so complex as clicking a link to their site and looking at the screen!

Attached Files:

10. Crunz macrumors newbie

Bah why is it there are people here that turn things into a personall vendetta? UK laws are similar to US laws, they are not totally different, whilst i dont know for sure, they offer a 15 day money back guarantee, i think this is misleading as they are probably required to offer more than that in actuallity, i was just trying to help here. I know someone with 22 years experience in mac repairs and reselling they know better than me when they told me 3rd party installs of any component are generally less reliable than the ones Apple sources. FACT. Please do not reply to this post furthering your argument, this is my opinion based on advice from someone with 22 years experience in the industry, if you wish to continue do it in in private messaging please rather than going off topic.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, it's not a personal vendetta. The OP asked for advice about RAM. Inaccurate and misleading information was posted about a reputable, well-established company that you admittedly know nothing about. It is important to clarify and correct information for people new to the forums, so they are getting accurate information, so that posters here have reliable information on which to base decisions.

Fact: OWC is a well-respected company, serving the Mac community for about 20 years.
    Fact: OWC offers a Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty and a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee on the RAM it sells, regardless of where in the world they ship.
    Fact: OWC RAM is fully and completely compatible with Macs and meets all their specifications.

For what it's worth (absolutely nothing! :)), I've been deeply involved in the computer industry for close to 40 years, writing my first mainframe programs before Steve Jobs was out of high school. However, that doesn't carry any more weight in this discussion than you knowing someone who's been doing this 22 years, since even a newbie can take the time to read OWC's site, the MacRumors Guides and the posts in this forum and learn that OWC is a safe place to buy RAM.

This isn't about personal issues. It's about giving truthful and accurate information to those who ask.

Attached Files:

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Precisely.

13. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I found this thread very helpful. I have seen many references to OWC here on MacRumors but the detailed recommendations of this company in this thread got me to go take a look--thank you.

14. Crunz macrumors newbie

Correction, read the website link it says 15 days for RAM. 22 years experience in mac repairs and reselling does carry more weight mate, if you are writing computer programs then you are at the wrong end of the scale to even comment in this post

rofl at truthful and accurate information. thats ironic, anyway, im not longer viewing this thread. this is now totally off topic and you are just arguing with me pointlessly

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thank you for no longer viewing, as maybe you'll stop posting inaccurate and misleading information. The 15 days, as the website states, if someone actually took the time to read it, applies only to the "DOA pickup policy and advance ship policy". RAM is, indeed, covered by the 30 day Money Back Guarantee.

As to what is the "right" or "wrong" side of "the scale", I'll trust my own experience and history of earnings more than anyone else's uninformed opinion. I said I wrote programs before; I didn't say that's what I'm doing today. Your posts will have a lot more value to those you try to help, if you reduce your dependence on assumptions and hearsay and base them more on fact and verifiable information.

Attached Files: