Would this setup work for a TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rye9, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

So I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, which according to my research, a mini Displayport to HDMI connection does NOT support audio. Cool, Apple =/

So, I am trying to figure out how to hook up my MBP to my TV for movies and such.

Would using a 3.5mm headphone to audio RCA cable work for sound, and mini Displayport/HDMI cable work for the sound?

The TV inputs are attached. While yes I am sure these cables will all connect just fine, will I be able to isolate the audio and video such that the computer screen displays on the TV via HDMI and then the audio is transmitted with the red and white analog cables?

Attached Files:

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Same... looks like it'll function as expected... Or buy an Apple TV and do mirroring

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

And, to make it more interesting, could I hook these up to the TV so that sound from the TV comes through these?

Attached Files:

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

6. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Okay thanks guys; I was just worried because of the wording in this thread from the following reply to a user with my issue:

Audio out: yes, 3.5mm stereo mini plug to RCA (female and then use RCA cables with male connectors). Note that you also need the proper input on your TV which will accept HDMI or DVI video and have RCA audio on the same input. A work around is to play audio through a sound system.

----------

These speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S220-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000RQSGYO

7. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The speakers should work fine. Just run them from your TV's output if you want all sounds to play through the speakers. If you only want it to play audio from the MBP, then just plug it into the headphone jack on the laptop.

8. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

I would but doesn't this only work for newer macs? It seemed on a page for Mountain Lion that this works only for macs 2011 and later.

Also, should I just do mini Displayport to DVI and have a separate cable for audio, or use the HDMI as I mentioned? Since the DVI doesn't carry audio I feel this is safer, since I am concerned that the TV will be "confused" by audio NOT coming from HDMI if I use HDMI for the video portion (if that makes any sense...)

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502

What osx are you hookup the tv with ML or Lion?