Would this setup work for a TV?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
So I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, which according to my research, a mini Displayport to HDMI connection does NOT support audio. Cool, Apple =/

So, I am trying to figure out how to hook up my MBP to my TV for movies and such.

Would using a 3.5mm headphone to audio RCA cable work for sound, and mini Displayport/HDMI cable work for the sound?

The TV inputs are attached. While yes I am sure these cables will all connect just fine, will I be able to isolate the audio and video such that the computer screen displays on the TV via HDMI and then the audio is transmitted with the red and white analog cables?

Attachments

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Okay thanks guys; I was just worried because of the wording in this thread from the following reply to a user with my issue:

Audio out: yes, 3.5mm stereo mini plug to RCA (female and then use RCA cables with male connectors). Note that you also need the proper input on your TV which will accept HDMI or DVI video and have RCA audio on the same input. A work around is to play audio through a sound system.

----------

No idea what that is
These speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S220-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000RQSGYO

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Okay thanks guys; I was just worried because of the wording in this thread from the following reply to a user with my issue:

Audio out: yes, 3.5mm stereo mini plug to RCA (female and then use RCA cables with male connectors). Note that you also need the proper input on your TV which will accept HDMI or DVI video and have RCA audio on the same input. A work around is to play audio through a sound system.

----------

These speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S220-Speaker-System-Subwoofer/dp/B000RQSGYO
The speakers should work fine. Just run them from your TV's output if you want all sounds to play through the speakers. If you only want it to play audio from the MBP, then just plug it into the headphone jack on the laptop.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Same... looks like it'll function as expected... Or buy an Apple TV and do mirroring
I would but doesn't this only work for newer macs? It seemed on a page for Mountain Lion that this works only for macs 2011 and later.

Also, should I just do mini Displayport to DVI and have a separate cable for audio, or use the HDMI as I mentioned? Since the DVI doesn't carry audio I feel this is safer, since I am concerned that the TV will be "confused" by audio NOT coming from HDMI if I use HDMI for the video portion (if that makes any sense...)