would this setup work??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cuestakid, Jul 6, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Ok-I have a MacPro with a wireless logitech s530 keyboard mouse combo, a 19in Dell monitor with DVI and VGA, as well as a dell laptop. My question is this; could I get the belkin flip kvm, plug the monitor into the laptop via vga, the plug in the logitech mac wireless keyboard and mouse to the kvm and share it between both machines?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Have you loooked into Synergy? It does the same as KVM, but over the network.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes, synergy should work. I think of it as a poor man's KVM, especially if you have a monitor with multiple inputs.

What I have at work is a Linux machine with keyboard/mouse, connected to the DVI port of a Dell monitor. I have an XP laptop connected to the VGA port. I run synergys (Synergy server) on the Linux box and the windows version of synergy running on the laptop.

I can access the laptop by moving the mouse off the left side of the screen. I usually don't bother switching to VGA to work on the laptop, instead just use its screen. But if I need the extra space for XP, I just move the mouse over to the laptop, then switch the monitor to VGA.

4. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

yes and i tried to get it to work and it was way to clunky

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

How so?

6. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

because I tried to get it to setup and no matter what I did I could not get it to work-also because I have seen people trying to use it at the place where I am working this summer and they have had some difficultly setting it up and getting it to funtion properly.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Worked fine for me.

8. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

i ended up getting the belkin flip and it works awesome

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Thanks for the info.

I might have to try it with my IOGear DVI KVM.

I just haven't found a wireless keyboard that I like yet.