Would this work, connect MBP to TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theone0581, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Theone0581 macrumors member

I want to put my macbook pro screen on my TV. My TV has only rca (red/yellow/white). I didn't see anything for DVI to RCA, but I did see DVI to VGA.

So could I do this

DVI to VGA to RCA

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

Nope dont think you can. Best bet is to buy a better tv, by the time you buy enough cables and adaptors to get the job done you could have bought a flat screen tv. Also that type of input is called composite video, its terrible quality, analog, and it means your tv is likely old, low resolution crt with a 4:3 aspect ratio so it would just end up looking bad. The reason why its expensive is because dvi is digital and composite is analogue so somewhere along the line there needs to be a digital to analog convertor which isnt worth the effort

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You could with a digital-analog converter in the mix. It's not just a matter of adapting the connectors. There's a reference thread available for connecting your MBP to TV that covers the options. I don't have a link handy but it is posted in nearly every thread asking about TV connectivity and should be easy to find.

That said, you may not want to deal with this as the image quality will likely be poor. You might find it acceptable, depending on the intended usage. I'd suggest getting a TV with digital inputs.

4. canderton macrumors member

Just save the money you'd spend on all the adapters and connectors and put it towards a new tv. Even many 10+ year old tvs at least have component inputs which it sounds like yours doesn't have so I'd say you're due for an upgrade. You can get a basic 32'' LCD for around $200 nowadays. Then you could do a straight run from your mac via DVI to VGA or DVI to HDMI. Less adapters = better picture quality.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your TV only has RCA plugs, it's most likely only 640x480 in resolution, you'll barely be able to fit half this webpage on that small a resolution.

Definitely not worth your time.