Would this work? Dragging user from ext. HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacsomJRR, Aug 1, 2007.

1. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Does anyone know if the following would work?

I backed up my whole system using SuperDuper! and then erased my computer to install a Windows partition. Now I'd like to reimport a user from my bootable backup onto the new mac partition. If I drag and drop an old user folder from my backup (on the external drive) can I then log in as that user (on my Mackbook Pro) and everything should be back to normal? I really don't want to have to import all of my old apps and any other users from the backup.

Hopefully that all makes sense and someone has an answer. I really don't want to wait for 70+ GB of info to transfer over only to find out it doesn't work.

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Make a new user with the same short name as your backup if you haven't already. Then you can drag the contents of the backed up home directory into the new home directory. Log out and then back in as that user.

You'll more then likely have to deal with some keychain issues if you're using a different password.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I like to use Carbon Copy Cloner, but if you have a FireWire external hard drive when you are reinstalling OS X you could just use migration assistant.

4. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Great answers! Thanks guys I'll give those a shot.

Only took 5 mins to get a couple answers too. What a great community this is:D