Would This Work For The New iPhone Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bowlerman625, Sep 23, 2011.

1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I currently have an iPhone 4 that is eligible for an upgrade on 11/17/11. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7-inch tablet with ATT that has a phone number tied to it for the data plan. The phone number for the Tab shows it as upgrade ready for an iPhone now. When I go to the Apple.com site and check eligibility for the number tied to the Tab, it would allow me to purchase an iPhone at the 2-year contract pricing $199/299.

Am I missing something here? If the new iPhone comes out next month and my current iPhone upgrade date stays frozen at 11/17/11, could I buy the new iPhone using the phone number for the Galaxy Tab device and then just put the SIM card for my iPhone 4 into the new iPhone model?

This seems too easy...any thoughts on this plan would be helpful!! What am I missing?

M

2. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

More than likely if you are within 4 months or so your upgrade will be bumped up once the new phone is announced. AT&T did this for me with both the 3GS and the iPhone 4. Realistically they aren't going to lose a bunch of customers over a 4 month window with a major release like this one. Especially with the addition of Sprint and their unlimited data plan.

3. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

My Cousin's husband works for AT&T and i was talking to him about the fact that my upgrade isn't till 11/25/11, and he said "oh man you don't have to worry about that, you'll be able to upgrade when it comes out"

So i'm assuming they will do the same thing for this new phone and let you upgrade if you are in a close enough time period from launch

4. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes it will work however to att, you will need to change the plan of the Tab phone# to a plan that involves minutes since they will think you are using an iPhone on it.
    But once you received it, call att and have them change your imei back to whatever the Tab is and you should be able to go back to a data only plan for your tab. However, do you have a special data plan that is no longer offered? If so this may be an issue for att to reinstate old offerings you had.

then insert your SIM from your iP4 into the iP5 (as long as they are still using a microSIM)

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It was six months for previous years. (Release in June/July; anyone due for an upgrade in that year was bumped up.)

I'm hoping for that, anyway. Mine's up early March.

6. iZeeshan macrumors regular

So I bought my iPhone 4 in September 2010 and now ATT tells me I can upgrade 2/11/12.

I am the primary line so does anyone think they'll bump me up for an immediate upgrade? It's within 4 months if the Phone is released in October.

Plus this gets me thinking that the iPhone 4S/5 release date will be October 11th, exactly a week after the announcement.

7. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

You made a good point that made me think of something....I have the unlimited data plan with my iPhone 4 now. I wonder if doing something like this would put that plan in jeopardy?

My Tab data plan is not a special one.

8. Wartown Butch macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing...will I lose my unlimited data plan?

9. mobutt macrumors 6502

Mine is Nov 25th, hope they bump it up, I recently dropped mine and the screen cracked :(. Going to get it replaced regardless, still really want the new one.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

My upgrade date is in early April which is exactly 6 months away from October haha.

OP, you can do an upgrade swap but this can only be done at an AT&T store. They will use the upgrade from the Tab to just buy the phone and your number with the current iPhone remains the same. No need to swap sim cards or anything.