Would this work in the car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silbeej, Apr 7, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i got a new car, and it has an mp3 input, now would this work allowing me to talk as well?

http://monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571

The only thing is will the sound coming out of the speakers mess up the microphone? Any other suggestions to get in car without a lot of cash would be nice.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I see what you are thinking, that should work, it would be pretty cool to see how well it works.

3. iStefmac macrumors regular

See the part in the item description where it says, "..for iPhone."

Thats as good an indicator as any opinion you'll find on here.

4. carlgo macrumors 68000

Is it legal to wear earphones/plugs while driving? Or, are you only allowed to use near-the-ear devices?

That is a neat device, and it allows you to answer the phone, but doesn't allow for hands-off dialing. Or for music for others in the car. Not sure if that meets the hands-off laws unless you just don't make calls out.

5. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, i'm going to use teh headphone jack to plug into my car's mp3 socket, but i was interested in if the speaker sound would go back into the mic and mess everything up. Also, which devices out there allow for hands free dialing, i haven't seen any.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

That should work fine as long as your car volume is not incredibly loud.

7. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Sorry for the awfull picture but is this what you are talking about? That is actually a brilliant idea and I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work :D This would mean music from the phone through your car stereo, and when a call comes in a click of the mic and the audio is out your speakers, and you talk into the mic hands free :D I like this idea!!!

Keep us updated if you go ahead

Attached Files:

8. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Its a poor mans parrot. It should work, depending on the microphone. Also, if your music is up load lets hope you can hear the phone ring over the music. It would be interesting to see if it works. I just got the parrot installed into my Mazdaspeed 3 and it works great.

Let us know howyour system turns out.

9. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, this is what i'm doing.

The iPhone has you covered. When a call comes in, the music stops and it plays your ring tone, so of course i'll hear it.

I'll probably buy it this week and try it in teh car when i go home this weekend. I'll let you all know.

10. carlgo macrumors 68000

The Parrot 3100 is about the only sort of affordable device I have seen at about $160 as I remember. There is also a full-color model for $200. You load the contact's names into your Parrot and it handles the voice-activated calls. Also streams music from the iPhone/Pod. All this is via bluetooth that works with the iPhone.

Parrot also has a stereo head unit out that is media only, no cd or radio. You plug in mp3/4 players or thumb drives, and it has built-in bluetooth. There are a couple of other brands that do this too at around $280.

There are also issues of adding auxiliary inputs to OEM stereos. This involves various harnesses and adapters that are around $180 for my Toyota.

So, with add-ons or with a whole new head unit, if you want it all and full phone legality in CA, then it will cost you $300 unless you have a new car with all this built in. Notice the Ford ads with the M$ Synch feature.

That is why voice dialing for the iPhone is needed.

11. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats a little more than i can spend, and i don't plan on driving to CA anytime soon, so i'm all set. Sounds like a cool product tho.

12. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

The 3100 is the unit that I have in my Mazdaspeed 3 stock radio. My fiance also has it with her Pioneer head unit and it works just fine. No issues and voice dial is a bonus. I use my regular iPod for music so I dont use the iphone which stays in my pocket. It instantly links up to bluetooth and works like a charm. If you are looking for a solution and dont mind spending a little bit of cash, the 3100 is the way to go.

13. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You don't specify exactly where you are in the location block but the same rules apply for NY and NJ.

14. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

I purchased something similar from meritline this week mainly for the plug adapter(to fit normal sized headphones and 3.5mm audio cables), but also interested in the microphone while plugged into car speakers just like you. I got it for $3.85 after coupon. It's $5.99 now, but they frequently have coupon deals like the one I used: http://www.meritline.com/earphone-adapter-iphone-into-3-5mm-mic-038.html
    [​IMG]
    I'll let y'all know how it works when it arrives next week.

15. jeniferkey macrumors member

I have the Shure adapter inline to the mini plug in my car. It works great. I can forward and pause music without the hassle of looking at the phone. I don't use it for the phone part, though, because my car has bluetooth and handsfree for that part.
    Since I'm always plugged into the car speakers, I'm never sure if the phone is coming through the iphone or the bluetooth. Either way it works when I test it.

16. wickedsteve macrumors member

I use the monster adapter in the car. The mic is off when playing music so no problem there. But when a call comes in I don't answer it anymore since I can't hear people on my speakers very well unless I double the volume of the stereo. It worked great for a while but now the button does not work anymore. I think it is because the gold is rubbing off the connector. Gold is a lot softer than nickel. The button will work if I mash the connector sideways to get better contact. Stupid gold gimmick.

And voice dialing is not needed for the iPhone. If you are driving then you have no bussines on any phone at all. Get your priorities in line. Too many people have died because someone "needed" to use their phone while driving.

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You actually don't need to buy anything extra to make a hands free Iphone. When I walk for exercise, I wear an older pair of ipod earplugs that don't have a mic built in. I got a call and heard the caller through the headphones, but still talked through the mic on the iphone. You could do the same with your car. Hear the caller through the speakers, but talk through the iphone mic. Shouldn't be any different than using the speakerphone mode.

18. gftx73 macrumors newbie

I got a rental car while my car was being repaired from an accident. I used a standard cable - plugging into a Cadillac CTS rental - and it just came out of the iPhone speakers. Then I remembered that the iPhone has a longer jack - so I trimmed down my standard cable end with an exacto knife, plugged it back in, and it worked fine. The standard cable just wasn't going down far enough into the iPhone jack.

g

19. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

what firmware do you have? I'm on 1.1.1 and this doesn't work. If I get a call in the car, i hear them over the speakers, but when I talk they can't hear me until I unplug the audio cable.

20. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

He mentioned speakerphone mode. You didn't say if you acually put it on speakerphone.

21. toddngina macrumors member

I just use a cassette adapter connected to the headphone jack, with one of those cup holder ipod mounts. Works great as a hands-free phone, even without going to speaker phone! Music's playing, dims out and I hear the ring. I do have to look down momentarily to hit "answer", but other than that I like it!

22. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

so you don't have to hit speaker and they can still hear you while you hear them over your car stereo? This is basically the setup I have and they can't hear me. I will try speakerphone later though. What firmware version do you have?

23. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, i just tried the monster cable in the car this weekend, and it works great. Then only thing i've found is that you need to turn the volume up to 100% on both the call volume and the music volume. Other than that, the button works great and the call goes through correctly. I would however, save this setup for shorter trips, and i'm just going to use mp3 cd's in my car, for they are much easier, and i can fit many more disks on one cd.