Would this work??? Need advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thechad003, Jun 12, 2009.

1. thechad003 macrumors newbie

thechad003

So my buddy is gonna come to AT&T to get the new 3gs and I have the 3g on my plan could he get a family plan and get him a iphone and and another for me and cancel the second iPhone on his plan b4 30 days and I could put my sim card from my 3g in the 3gs and have it work on my plan??

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

What? Oh, wait, got it.

I'm Sorry, I don't understand, maybe it's the fact that there is only one punctuation, or maybe It's all the "and and" stuff. Could you re-write it?

I got you and your friend buying the new iPhone 3GS and, wait I think I got it. Okay, adding two more lines to your plan (iPhone 3GS's) and then canceling one of them, moving your original SIM card to the one you canceled?

If that's what you meant, then... I don't know. It would work fine, but I thought if you "return" the service, you have to give the phone back too. I'm not sure.

Basically, If you can get ahold of a new, not-on-a-plan, iPhone, you should be able to put a sim card in it, and have it work.

3. thechad003 thread starter macrumors newbie

thechad003

ok sorry

i was in a hurry and on my phone so heres a better explanation.......

ok so i have my own plan, and have a 3g. it would cost me alot to do the early upgrade for me. but my buddy wants to come to ATT for the iPhone 3GS he will be getting his own plan. he said he would get a family plan so i could get a 3GS for 199$ as well then he would cancel the second line or make it the bare minimum and just eat the 9.99 and put a crappy ATT phone on he second line. So i was wondering if he did this could i just put my SIM card into the 3GS and have it work?:apple:

4. D3lta macrumors 6502a

That won't work, AT&T takes the phone back if you cancel before 30 days. After that, you pay the $175 ETF, but you get to keep the phone.

5. thechad003 thread starter macrumors newbie

thechad003

couldnt he just say he lost the iPhone and put a crappy ATT phone and back it down to 9.99$?

6. ptsube macrumors 6502

Stop trying to be a weasel. All this whining and scheming is annoying everyone. It's not just this thread, it's the 100 others, too.

7. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

This is one of the most stupid things I have heard on here. What you are asking may work... wouldn't even need to add another "crappy phone" to the line, hell, you could do this whole family plan nonsense on your account.

Problem is, $9.99 for two years is more expensive than just paying the upgrade price.

Are you 15? Jeez!

8. jetski13 macrumors newbie

but that is $240 he would have to $200 this upgrade and $200 next upgrade (still under 2 yr contract) or EFT end of contract

9. thechad003 thread starter macrumors newbie

thechad003

well i wouldnt be paying the 9.99 a month so if you would have read it: "as well then he would cancel the second line or make it the bare minimum and just eat the 9.99" so it wouldnt affect me!!! i decided to just stick with my 3G till next year!

10. GTDaveMac macrumors regular

Good, because you would be in for a surprise if you tried these things. What part of "2 year contract" do you not understand?