Would this work? (Question on White MacBooks)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iUseMacBooks, Jun 11, 2015.

1. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Recently I'd considered upgrading my 11" MBA for a 13". But I don't think I'll be doing that, and I have another idea.

I'm considering buying a used white MacBook online, ideally a 2010 model. This way, I'd be able to keep the 11" air and have a chance to have a white MacBook too (I've always loved the way they look.)

If I get one, I'd probably max out the RAM to 8 GB to try and make it run better. But here's my question: most of them I see are running snow leopard. I want to have the App Store in the OS ... Would I just look for a copy of a newer os x online & install it through the optical drive?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've only ever installed os x through the App Store.

2. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

It's not a dumb question - It's a sensible one.

I have the late 2009 White unibody MacBook.
    I upgraded it to 8Gbytes of RAM and added a 250Gbyte Samsung SSD and it really flies. Handles Office and Photoshop, Imovie etc. It isn't as fast as a MBP then it never will be/wasn't ment to be. It was the end of the line.
    It does however boot up in about 12 seconds and runs Yesomite without a hitch.

Just download the Yosemite installer from the App store on your MBA, load it onto an installable USB memory stick and install it as a fresh install over your White MacBook SSD. There are plenty of threads on this forum on how to make a bootable USB stick.

Enjoy and report back on how you got on.

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Also if you're interested in a mid-2010 model, you can actually max out the RAM to 16 GB as opposed to 8 GB on the late 2009 model. Plus you get a faster CPU, a better GPU and better battery life.