Would this work? (Question on White MacBooks)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iUseMacBooks, Jun 11, 2015.

1. iUseMacBooks macrumors member

Jun 2, 2015
    Hi everyone,

Recently I'd considered upgrading my 11" MBA for a 13". But I don't think I'll be doing that, and I have another idea.

I'm considering buying a used white MacBook online, ideally a 2010 model. This way, I'd be able to keep the 11" air and have a chance to have a white MacBook too (I've always loved the way they look.)

If I get one, I'd probably max out the RAM to 8 GB to try and make it run better. But here's my question: most of them I see are running snow leopard. I want to have the App Store in the OS ... Would I just look for a copy of a newer os x online & install it through the optical drive?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've only ever installed os x through the App Store.
  2. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Dec 7, 2012
    United Kingdom
    It's not a dumb question - It's a sensible one.

I have the late 2009 White unibody MacBook.
    I upgraded it to 8Gbytes of RAM and added a 250Gbyte Samsung SSD and it really flies. Handles Office and Photoshop, Imovie etc. It isn't as fast as a MBP then it never will be/wasn't ment to be. It was the end of the line.
    It does however boot up in about 12 seconds and runs Yesomite without a hitch.

Just download the Yosemite installer from the App store on your MBA, load it onto an installable USB memory stick and install it as a fresh install over your White MacBook SSD. There are plenty of threads on this forum on how to make a bootable USB stick.

Enjoy and report back on how you got on.
  3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Also if you're interested in a mid-2010 model, you can actually max out the RAM to 16 GB as opposed to 8 GB on the late 2009 model. Plus you get a faster CPU, a better GPU and better battery life.