Would this work via parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by paddy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi I really want to start gaming on my MB but mac games are too dear and I cant afford a full copy of XP so I want to wondering could parallels run this?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You need a full copy of XP to run in Parallels...

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You still need a full copy of Windows even with Parallels.

4. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Whoops silly me found that out as I was downloading the Parallels trial. Oh well back to the drawing board.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Codeweavers Crossover would be great, but they claim GTA3 is 'Untested' meaning they don't know if it works or not...maybe someone here has tried :)

6. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

If you can afford to buy Parallels but you can't afford XP as well, maybe you should just buy XP. You can find XP very cheap online. Sure, you would have to reboot into Windows each time you wanted to play a game but Boot Camp is still the fastest way to get Windows apps on your Mac.

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

This is your best bet. Trust me, restarting is not that bad. The more RAM you have, the shorter the XP startup takes. It will never be shorter than OS X tho :cool:

8. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry I was ignorant to the fact that you need a full copy of windows for Parallels, silly me. Lucky though in a way that I don't have a copy of windows as it shows I've never had a windows pc in my house! :) Thanks psychofreak for the link, testing it now!

9. IscariotJ macrumors 6502a

If you ever manage to get a copy of XP, one of the games demoed running under Fusion was GTA3.....

10. bobriot macrumors member

I tried San Andreas and it crashed in Parallels on a imac 1.83 core duo; Played my girlfriends copy of Harry potter though. If you want me to try any more games just give me a shout.

11. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

12. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

Or you could just 'borrow' a corporate xp key and hope no one notices :rolleyes:

More legally though, quiet a few educational institutions sell cheap xp & vista keys to their students as part of licensing deals with microsoft. Some even give them out as an 'off-campus' license.

Try and grab one from your school/uni.