Would this work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Fernandez21, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Hi, I was wanting to occasionally run windows on my macbook air, however I didn't was to partition the drive to allocate some space for window (I only have 5gbs free space after transferring everything over) So I was wondering if it was possible to install windows on a thumb drive and just plug it in when I wanted to use windows. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? And how big a thumb drive would I need? Any drawbacks? Thanks you.

2. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Yeah when installing windows it will ask where you want to install it. Make sure the drive is plugged in and select it.

3. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

sweet, thanks. What size thumb drive do i need? would 16gb be enough or should i get 32gb? Also, is there such thing as a thunderbolt thumb drive? Tried looking and haven't found one.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I would go 32. You can find them pretty cheap if you shop around.

5. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

No such thing as a thunderbolt drive yet. I think windows by its self takes up 10GB although i'm not sure because I haven't used windows in a while (double check to be sure). So if you're not going to be storing to much go for 32GB, if you need more than 12GB you should probably just get an external hard drive.

6. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

thanks. i think i'll head up best buy tomorrow to see how much they are there. I prefer brick and motor stores cause I can have it right away, but at waltmart a 32gb was like $70, not paying that when amazon has them for $40.

7. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

8. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Thanks, I actually already have that. Using to store backups with time capsule. I knida want just a small thumbdrive so I don't have to worry a cable, I move my pc around alot, rarely ever use it on a desk, so I don't have to worry about the cable disconnecting or something as my move. Thanks though.

9. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

Or this lol
    http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-16GB-Secure/dp/B003TG8MNY

Fingerprint reader to.

10. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

11. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

12. komoornik macrumors regular

WTF? Windows Installer won't let you put in the removable device.

Even if you would manage to do this somehow, you would get really bad performance.

13. Fernandez21 thread starter macrumors 601

Fernandez21

So your saying I wouldn't be able to install on the thumb drive?

I'm trying right now to install to an external hard drive I have to try before buying the thumb drive, and it keeps saying "the startup disk needs more than 10gb free space) and won't let me install in boot camp. I have 14gb free on my mac hard drive and the external has 500gb free! What am I doing wrong? I was able to load the iso on to the external, but when I try to boot into it, it say "please insert a bootable disk and press any key", which I try but nothing happens.