Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
It appears to be the right size...not sure on connection/drivers/etc. How much can you get it for? Considering you'd potentially be voiding your warranty for 8GB of storage over the 64GB, I'm assuming it must be way cheaper than the $1k Apple wants.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
It appears to be the right size...not sure on connection/drivers/etc. How much can you get it for? Considering you'd potentially be voiding your warranty for 8GB of storage over the 64GB, I'm assuming it must be way cheaper than the $1k Apple wants.

Not to sure, just kind of looking around.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I'm having a really hard time finding out what model SSD the MBA uses. I'm wondering if it might actually be the SanDisk UATA, which maxes out at 64GB. I'd just be a bit surprised if they passed up the 72GB if it was an option, unless it was a lot more expensive. It just seems like the closer they get to offering an 80GB HDD or and ~80GB SDD, the easier it is for people to compare it and now have to weigh the loss of storage space, and therefore more readily pay to upgrade.

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I'm having a really hard time finding out what model SSD the MBA uses. I'm wondering if it might actually be the SanDisk UATA, which maxes out at 64GB. I'd just be a bit surprised if they passed up the 72GB if it was an option, unless it was a lot more expensive. It just seems like the closer they get to offering an 80GB HDD or and ~80GB SDD, the easier it is for people to compare it and now have to weigh the loss of storage space, and therefore more readily pay to upgrade.

Actually, i believe its the Samsung SSD Pata: IDE

http://www.samsungssd.com/ssd_products/solid_choice.html

:apple:

Especially since the HDD should be easily swapped out, which is also a PATA

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
That's entirely possible and would explain the 64GB since that seems to be Samsung's max. Didn't the SanDisk not have PATA though? Or are they actually using the SATA connection?

Just SATA :mad:

but I was looking around and Samsung are mass producing 128GB SSDs in the first quarter of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.