Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would u get an ipad mini 6 if u already have a iphone and ipad pro 12.9

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I like to read books on my mini, so it fills a specific niche that a bigger iPad can't fill. That said I couldn't imagine owning both devices if I didn't have unique requirements for both.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I wouldn’t get an iPad Pro, no
But I have an iPad Mini 6. Perfect size, love it.
All depends on priority’s.
If you need both, only you will know. It’s your money, do what you want with them.
Don’t save them to your kids and/or grandchildren or whomever it might be, to enjoy after you're gone.
Live your life 🥰

Reactions: Yuuuki

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Depends on which iPhone I have. If I have an SE or a mini-size iPhone, then the iPad mini might be sufficiently different in size from the iPhone to have a different use case. But if I have one of the bigger iPhones, I don't see much need for an iPad mini.

mjcharlton71

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
14 Pro, iPad Pro 11 M2, iPad mini 6

Would say I use the mini 6 the most. Would feel awkward without it… reading on the 14 Pro or iPad Pro is unwieldy in different ways, whereas the mini just fills that tech hole you crave (like a box of sliders from White Castle)

Reactions: Yuuuki

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I use all 3.

As a teacher, I connect my 12.9" iPad to a projector or to Zoom for a virtual whiteboard. I use it for making sketches, for writing answer to exams, and for filling out PDFS, and for writing mathematical notes.

My mini 6 is in my shoulder bag and always available when I'm on the run, for viewing web pages, GPS, email, notes and books/papers.

My iPhone is for making phone calls, taking pictures, and playing music or audio books.

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
I have an 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 that I bought new in 2018, an M1 MacBook Air, 11 Pro Max, and an iPad mini 6. I bought the iPad Pro when it came out for grad school and I thought that it would fill my needs as the only device I have to take with me on the go and I’ll just use my Mac at home, but I realized I really need a laptop on the go, so I bought the M1 for medical school.

I bought the mini last Christmas and I REALLY like it, but it has pretty much made the Pro irrelevant for me, it’s pretty much a couch computer for me at this point because I am too ashamed of the sunk cost to sell the pro haha. The draw for the mini for me is that I can fit in my scrub pants pocket to take notes when I see patients/present to attendings. It’s also strategic as a med student because if you pull your phone out on the wards, it’s uNpROfesSiONaL, but if you do it on an iPad, it’s fine. It really fills that niche pretty well and I honestly wish I bought it earlier.

I like the Pro, and like everyone else I long for the Pro to actualize and become the computer we want, but I don’t know that I would ever buy another one. I really like the form factor of the mini and, hot take, the Pro does basically nothing to justify it’s size and price at this point.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Depends on which iPhone I have. If I have an SE or a mini-size iPhone, then the iPad mini might be sufficiently different in size from the iPhone to have a different use case. But if I have one of the bigger iPhones, I don't see much need for an iPad mini.
I also have an iPhone 13 Pro Max lol

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have and need and use all 3 devices—iPad Mini probably the most time-wise.

This is how it breaks down for me:
- iPhone SE. Small as possible device to keep in my pocket while I’m out and use as necessary
- iPad Mini. Large as possible handheld device (I consider all the other iPads too large to be “handheld”—which I define as something I can comfortably hold one-handed for long periods) for pretty much all my non-big screen TV consumption, and is used pretty much only at home (I rarely do any screen consumption while I’m out, so when I need to, my small phone screen is completely fine)
- 12.9” iPad Pro. Large portable digital canvas with Pencil for work and hobby, and light laptop duties with keyboard mostly for everyday personal productivity and some work (I don’t really use this for consumption, except on trips where I don’t have a TV or if I needed to pack light and didn’t bring my iPad Mini)

So even though the Mini is the least ”necessary“ for me, I still use it the most, simply because I spend a lot of time consuming, and in most cases the Mini is by far the most ideal device for the job.
But I’d say if I could tolerate having a huge phone (I can’t), even though the largest iPhone is still quite a bit smaller than the Mini, it might be close enough that I might forgo the Mini, not sure.

Reactions: flobach

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
It’s also strategic as a med student because if you pull your phone out on the wards, it’s uNpROfesSiONaL, but if you do it on an iPad, it’s fine.

This comment, 100% - I leave my iPhone on my desk for phone calls and portable between-meeting notification checking. The iPad goes with me should I leave my desk / office / area of my office depending on the period of time I'm away.

Pulling out the iPad for meetings (which does quite literally everything the iPhone does, including calls-over-wifi) doesn't raise any eyes. Pulling out the iPhone gets the "look who isn't paying attention" glare of death from folks over a certain age.

One dinosaur even pulled our director aside to share we were all texting during an event - which, we were on-site to run... On a group work chat... Immediately following that, we got work iPads, and were told 'hey look, professional communication devices, go nuts'. 🤣

I share those stories to conclude - I retired my iPad Pro following that specific debacle. No more iPhone + iPad Pro for me. I be came a much heavier user of the iPad Mini on its own versus awkwardly splitting duties between the former.

Reactions: muzzy996

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
We're all different and have different priorites. I have a 2017 iPP 12.9 that is now in a drawer at home. Replaced it with a Surface pro 9 and an iPad Mini 6 for now. I'm all-in in terms of Microsoft services for work (OneDrive and Office 365) and do a lot of collaboration stuff that is best done with full Windows versions of Word and Excel so the workflows available on the iPad platform were just not ideal.

The Mini 6 satisfies my needs for content consumption when traveling or lounging around the house. I find the mini compliments my 13 Pro Max perfectly, and I use it a lot at home for web browsing and video watching.

I look forward to improvements in the platform, but for now I'm satisfied with the path that I chose.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have a 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 and just recently bought a 12.9 iPad Pro. I love all 3 devices, and find myself using the phone at work for music, talking on the phone, checking my kids school apps, and communicate with work. Once off work, I use the iPad Pro as my laptop replacement, and with the keyboard with a space bar, it‘s perfect for me. I take the iPad mini with me to work to read my books on my kindle, and any other activity. 99% of the time, I use all 3 devices everyday. On the weekend, the iPad Pro is my primary device.

wingennis

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Northern Arizona
I do have the Mini 6, iPhone 14PM, and an iPad Pro 12.9. We have to have the phone these days but it is the least used of the 3 and I still have regrets trading up from my 13 mini. My mini is for reading. iPad Pro is my travel computer and consumption device.

Reactions: sparksd

EDiTOR9

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
South Bay, CA
I have the iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini, iPad Pro 11”, and iPad Pro 12.9”. I honestly don’t have a use for the 11” and it has been sitting in a cabinet put away. I use the phone for most things, the mini I keep by my bed and use it as a content device when I am axing in bed. The 12.9” is used exclusively at work; it’s mostly used for MS Teams meetings, note taking, and email.

I‘ve yet to find a practical use for the 11” but I am very happy with the other devices.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
what are your thoughts?
I feel like this is a purely subjective question. As is the question of "what size iPad should I get?".

That all being said, personally, I feel that there isn't a significant usability/functionality overlap between an iPhone (even a Plus/Pro Max model) and an iPad mini in the way that I do think that one exists between the 10-11-inch iPads and the iPad mini. I do believe that, with a full-size keyboard and unique display features, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro stands apart from the other sizes of iPad as a productivity device (though, not as much as a media consumption device). Though, personally, I'd MUCH rather the combination of iPad mini + 12.9-inch iPad Pro than I would any 10-11-inch iPad on its own.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
My question is if you get the mini will you use the IPP 12.9" anymore?
I want an updated iPad mini (just don't want to spend $399 on the current 6th Gen).
I'm in my 2 week trial period on an M2 11" iPP I got new for $599...I love the speed of the M2 and the screen & speakers are fantastic but I keep grabbing the mini when I'm walking around the house, couch surfing, or leave the house because of its form factor!

PS. you need an other category on your poll choices...

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
My iPad Pro 12.9” (2020) replaced a laptop for me. I use it on tables or when seated on couches or easy chairs. It’s my long-form writing device with the magic keyboard. I also use it when teaching on Zoom, to show PPT slides and use the pencil to mark up student work or annotate text. (I teach Latin and Greek.) It rarely leaves the house, so it’s a wifi-only model.

The iPad Mini 6 is my reading and content-consumption iPad. I watch all my shows on it and read ePub and PDF books. It’s also quite nice for browsing the web in bed. It is also the travel iPad, since I got the cellular model. The size is perfect, and I can read without glasses on it — something that is not true of the iPP 12.9.

I use an iPhone 13 mini. I rarely browse the web or read anything of length on it. It is a communications device, a wallet for payments, and a camera. For these purposes, I would have preferred a Pro model with a better camera, but not at the expense of portability. I am sad that the periscope camera is only coming to the Pro Max this year, since I could have made my peace with a 6.1 inch phone, but not with a phablet the size of the Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.