Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
X to XS will be a hard upgrade for most people. Some don’t upgrade on S models and more will have bigger concerns about upgrading after a year with the higher MSRP.

Would USB C be a deal breaker to stay away? New chargers, car chargers, and cables? Lack of being able to borrow any charger from a friend.

Or since you charge wirelessly it won’t make a difference either way.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
its always seems to me that Lightning is slightly smaller than USB-C and requires less force to be inserted/removed than USB-C requires.

but if apple is even thinking about if it should make the switch from Lightning to USB-C, then this year is the year to do it.

with this year's/next year 's mac models that are likely to induce a huge upgrade/buy cycle for macs, massive numbers of people are going to make a new mac purchase.
so now is the time to change from Lightning, since massive quantities of USB-C cables will be being purchased as well.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
It’s just usb-c to lightning. You can still use your old cords im sure anyway. The iPhone it self will still have lightning
This.

The rumors indicate that Apple will include a USB-C to Lightning with a USB-C charger (18W IIRC), enabling faster-charging speeds.

You can still use USB-A to Lightning to connect to any devices that only have USB-A ports, you'll just get slower charging speeds and transfer speeds.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
X to XS will be a hard upgrade for most people. Some don’t upgrade on S models and more will have bigger concerns about upgrading after a year with the higher MSRP.

Would USB C be a deal breaker to stay away? New chargers, car chargers, and cables? Lack of being able to borrow any charger from a friend.

Or since you charge wirelessly it won’t make a difference either way.
I’ve got an iPad 29w USB C charger with a lightning to USB C lead that I use if I’m in a hurry to charge my iPad Pro or 8+.

Otherwise I charge both devices next to the bed overnight-the phone wirelessly and the iPad via an Anker charger (that also charges my Watch).

I don’t often have to charge during the day, so a move to a USB C equipped iPhone X+ wouldn’t make any difference to me personally.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
A 'Deal breaker' is usually just a creative reason for someone trying to justify not buying something new. Ultimately no one cares what someone else is buying or not buying.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
It’s just usb-c to lightning. You can still use your old cords im sure anyway. The iPhone it self will still have lightning
Exactly this - I am not concerned about the device moving to USB-C - yet. I am sure it will happen, like the 30 pin moved to lightning. The cord change is nothing I would even think about.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I would welcome USB-C. Proprietary connectors are not good for anyone but Apple.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
I am interested if the original poster could clarify - are you saying USB-C replacing lightning on the device? Or on the outlet end of the cord (USB-A today)?

If the former, I see grave concern that you outline. If on the latter, everything still works the same way it works today.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
cwanja - I feel exactly the opposite - everything today has USB-A connections for the opposite end from Lightning or ? My car does, airports, gyms, airplanes, home outlets, portable battery etc. It has taken a long time for the USB-A ports to show up and probably take just as long for them to get replaced.
i care about the phone end only because I have a bunch of cables (in car, at work,at home, in briefcase etc. and don't want to add to that collection while keeping old ones for things like my older iPad. But I do expect the device end to change and will live with that - again it is the other end that will bother me more since have to have dongles or not use public and car type connections.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
cwanja - I feel exactly the opposite - everything today has USB-A connections for the opposite end from Lightning or ? My car does, airports, gyms, airplanes, home outlets, portable battery etc. It has taken a long time for the USB-A ports to show up and probably take just as long for them to get replaced.
i care about the phone end only because I have a bunch of cables (in car, at work,at home, in briefcase etc. and don't want to add to that collection while keeping old ones for things like my older iPad. But I do expect the device end to change and will live with that - again it is the other end that will bother me more since have to have dongles or not use public and car type connections.
Here is how I view it. You can still travel around with your "old", legacy USB-A to lightning cables. But at your primary location, you could use the new USB-C to lightning cable capable of fast charging, etc.

The only downside I see to that, and you point it out, is that on the go you would not get the fast charge capabilities of USB-C which some could benefit from at airports, airplanes, etc. But your current cables would still continue to work today.

All said though, I do not foresee the device end changing. I do find it annoying that Macrumors failed to show the bottom of the device in their dummy device video with the speculation around USB-C

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.