Would WINE open my Mac up to Windows viruses?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Wireless Buddy, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

I want to use WINE to run one simple Windows only app called Palringo, but I am worried that this may cause my Mac to get Windows viruses because WINE allows you to run Windows apps, which means it would run viruses...

I want to use this one app, but it's not worth giving my Mac bugs. Anyone know?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use WINE myself to run a bunch of Windows apps. It works pretty well. In theory, you are correct - WINE is capable of running Windows viruses as well as regular programs. However, WINE doesn't provide everything Windows has. This means getting some programs running under WINE can be a bit of a pain, as you have to find and install all the various dependencies. The same goes for viruses.

That said, I personally think the reward outweighs the risk, and if you want to minimize your chances of accidentally spreading Windows viruses with your Mac, get one of the Mac OS X virus scanners that detects Windows viruses as well.

4. applemagic123 macrumors regular

applemagic123

Bump

So I just received an email stating that a parcel was sent to my address. It has an attachment that the email says has the tracking number. I get the attachment, and it's a zip file, so I unzip it, and it's an exe file. I was like, oh cool, I have winebottler, I can open exe files. I open it and all it did was open wine like the little wine glass on the top menu bar, and it opened, and X11 opened as well but it didn't do anything after that. I closed wine but before it closed a message popped up stating that an error like that has never occurred before and to send the report to wine.

I googled for a letter like this and found out that it is a virus. The exe file I opened was a virus. As soon as I clicked on it, it disappeared and I cannot find it anywhere within the "wine files" folder in the home folder of the finder. Do I have ANYTHING to worry about? I've entered credit card numbers with this macbook I'm on and have had since 2007 and I don't want anyone hacking my computer to get to it.

If anyone cares, I have winebottler so I can use "highgrow 4.0" hehe, don't ask. Also, Chips Challenge.

5. simsaladimbamba

A Windows virus will only be able to run in Windows, thus your Mac OS X side is safe.

6. themacster298 macrumors member

Something similar happened to me. Would deleting Wine altogether solve the problem?

7. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I am a Nigerian prince. I have 32 million dollars that I need to get into the US.

If you will allow me to use your bank account for this transfer, I will gladly pay you half of it, no questions asked.

Until I can convert my currency to US dollars, it is inaccessable, so I will need you to cover the $1,000 cost to process the transaction.

You have demonstrated yourself to be exactly the type of individual I am looking for!

Send your money ASAP!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Great! Do you want me to fax the money? Or just put it in Dropbox for you? I can buy lots of cool stuff with 44 million dollars..... that's half, right? :D

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You thought a tracking number would be in an exe?:confused:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Note the date of that post.

11. 13Plums macrumors newbie

13Plums

Can you send a link to me that sends me to the official WINE download? I don't want to download the wrong one and get a virus.

12. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Have you tried the Wine website?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

14. 13Plums macrumors newbie

13Plums

Thanks I wanted to make sure I got the right one