Would you be for or against a hard drive-based iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by darijoe, Feb 1, 2009.

?

Hard drive-based iPod touch anybody?

1. Terrific idea!!! I'd go and get one as soon as possible!

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. Sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn't buy one.

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. No, it's an absolutely terrible idea! It's doomed to failure!

36 vote(s)
    72.0%
  4. I have no opinion on the matter.

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. darijoe macrumors regular

An interesting concept - the merging of the two "big daddies" of the iPod line - the iPod classic and the iPod touch.

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Apple would never allow that. It would add to the thickness ;)

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It wouldn't work... first the OS can't run on something as slow as an iPod hard disk, second it would take too much power.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

never ever ever

i like the thinness of the ipod. if the ipod touch were to be hard drive based then we'll be seeing broken ipod touches all over the place for those who would want to play games using the accelerometer.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Wait a minute...aren't the HDDs used in the classic 4200rpm? And the MBA runs on a 4200rpm HDD. How are the HDDs too slow?

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    I personally would be against it, it would be a step backwords... ;) :)

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

haha the classic's is downclocked to more like 3000rpm, and the macbook air has a 1.6ghz processor with 2GB of RAM. The classic doesn't have to do all the fancy web browsing, animations, or dynamic imaging that the iPod touch has to do. Think of it logically!

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They also couldn't put the Nike stuff in it, the battery life would be abysmal, it's very nature suggests constant shaking around and moving - not good for a HDD.

Really don't think it'll happen.

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

As much as a bigger-capacity Touch would be great, my Nano has firmly convinced me that flash memory is the best and the future. I'd prefer to see cheaper, higher capacity flash memory developed instead. Not having to worry about skipping is one of its many benefits.

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    A MR historic event, TCDan and Beric agree! ;) :p :D

11. nick9191 macrumors 68040

No, as SSD prices fall, probably by next year, you will see a 128gb iPod Touch and then they will drop the Classic.

12. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I doubt they will drop the Classic. SSD price by next year would still be quite a bit higher than HD. Classic is still useful for many people. Not everyone wants a multimedia player, a lot of people just want a music player. iPod Classic/nano are still better music player than iPod touch because of the clickwheel (tactile response). For people who doesn't need the extra features of the iPod touch but need a lot of space, or people who are on a budget, the iPod Classic is still an excellent choice.

13. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

id like it only if they kept the flash based touch and just added a hard drive based touch to the touch line

14. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I like mine just fine the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. :)

16. zero.fx macrumors member

no it wont happen on the ipod touch, first heavy and would be thick meaning less portable. and secondly people want to be running or jogging with there ipod, would you go jogging or in the gym with your ipod touch if it was a hdd i know i wouldn't. maybe SSD in the future but HDD a big NO NO for me

17. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I'll never buy a hard disk anything ever again aside from those used in my floor model computer.

Every HD iPod I had has died from HD breakdown within 2 years. Every iPod I owned with SSD tech is still going strong after years. They might MAKE HD iPods now and in the future, but I would NEVER buy one again. There are no decent pluses, and one giant minus.

18. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

won't happen because it'd be ugly. the way ssd is going, i expect the next touch to have over 100gb of space. it prolly won't, but it should. eventually the classic will be gone, and it will just be the touch with mega space all SSD

19. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

back in the early days of the touch, I'd have said "go for it" with such vigour. But that was in the dark days, the days before games, before the app store. Now to add a spinning HDD to a device whose main input methods are touch and more importantly for this argument, changes in orientation (i.e. tilt). A spinning HDD in such a device would create a gyroscope effect, and tilting / swivelling the touch would do nasty things to the platter. Thats why in my opinion the touch will never have a HDD. for the record, I was REALY disapointed when SJ announced the first iPod touch and that it was only a wittle wee flash chip inside it.

20. milkypink macrumors newbie

Generally speaking, this is a bad idea.

1) it's a step backwards in technology. an unnecessary one, at that.

2) Flash prices are fated to drop, and capacity is fated to increase. That is how technology works, and it's basically a matter of time before the two coincide to create the amount of space desirable in the iPod Touch (for me, it's anything over 64GB)

3) Flash-based storage is much faster than hdd; the OS, the apps, everything would run slower

4) Flash-based storage is much more battery efficient. Seeking for info on hdds not only takes more time, but more energy. Battery life would decrease.

5) The design of the iPod Touch would have to be completely redone... to be considerably thicker. It's not as though the iPod Classic on its own is a really chubby baby, but compared to the Touch, it's clearly noticeable.