Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you be interested in the service?

• Yes

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
How are you going to graphically hook users into the server? Via VNC or something else? How are you going to limit CPU time per user account so one person compiling doesn't hog up all the CPU cycles for hours on end? How will you protect files? FileVault is not recommended for use with programming/compilation because it slows down the process due to the need to encrypt files.

Plus a lower-end Xserve can easily run $4,000+, this seems like an expensive project. While its an interesting idea, I personally don't see how it is technically or financially feasible.

http://www.aquaconnect.net/?page_id=26

As for file security, I'm sure I will be able to find or make something.

The apple Xserve is £2500 here and data centre hosting will cost me around £40 a month.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
http://www.aquaconnect.net/?page_id=26

As for file security, I'm sure I will be able to find or make something.

The apple Xserve is £2500 here and data centre hosting will cost me around £40 a month.

£2,500 is roughly $3,500. But remember you will need more RAM, lots of storage space, and dual processors. Also things like redundant power supplies are probably necessary which increases costs a bit.

But if you can find a group of people willing to use it, I could see potential profit. The key is finding people who want to develop over RDP which requires an always-on connection and requires them to depend on a 3rd party for security of their code (which can be huge, because if a developer's account is compromised some how due to a hole in the server, all of their code can be released and that is very very bad obviously).

mccannmarc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
£2,500 is roughly $3,500. But remember you will need more RAM, lots of storage space, and dual processors. Also things like redundant power supplies are probably necessary which increases costs a bit.

But if you can find a group of people willing to use it, I could see potential profit. The key is finding people who want to develop over RDP which requires an always-on connection and requires them to depend on a 3rd party for security of their code (which can be huge, because if a developer's account is compromised some how due to a hole in the server, all of their code can be released and that is very very bad obviously).

Sure, I completely agree with everything you point out, I'm not naive enough to think this is a walk in the park by any means. We would be starting out with a base xServe and building up from there I think, lets face it its not going to boom instantly and run our resources into the ground from day 1. We would obviously expand when necessary.

Developers wouldn't be the only market we would aim at but the focus on security is huge as you point out, this would need some serious work. Issues like this are really starting to put fuel on the idea of writing some sort of lightweight client app that can act as a dongle amongst various other things...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.