Would you be interested in full landscape support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abijnk, Jul 9, 2009.

?

Would you be interested in full landscape support?

1. Yes.

36 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have no idea what you mean.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. I'm just here for the bunnies.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

By full landscape support I mean something similar to the Blackberry Storm, where even on the home screen when you turn the phone to landscape the icons rotate with you and apps automatically launch in landscape mode from here.

I was really excited to get landscape mode for texting and mail, but find that I hardly use it out of inconvenience. Personally, I think it would be very nice to have full landscape support, and have provided feedback to Apple stating such.

Is anybody else interested in full landscape support?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think so but here is more info and opinions on it.
    here
    here

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I just wish I could disable it altogether. I don't use it but find it irritating that it sometimes changes to landscape by itself.

4. strike1555 macrumors 6502

Sure why not but more importantly:

Sometimes it can be a PITA.

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm aware this has been discussed, but I want to know actual numbers interested, without counting posts. :)

6. WeatherGuy macrumors member

If you jailbreak your phone and get SBSettings you can turn off the landscape mode. It works great for when you're lying down.

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I would be for an all landscape mode as long as there was an option to turn it off and on. I enjoy using landscape when I WANT to use landscape, but I often come across a problem where I will be typing a message or email and my phone will be tilted just enough so that it switches to landscape in the middle of me typing. I find this really annoying and it sometimes takes the phone a little bit to finally switch back to vertical like I was typing before. A lot of the time at work I can't have both hands on my phone to type or do anything else and in that situation landscape does me no good and I would hate for my phone to constantly be switching to landscape even on the home screen.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It wasn't meant to sound that way despite the way you clearly took it. I was simply stating that you're not alone ... :cool:

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I agree that it is an inconvenience. I love typing in landscape for Messages and Mail, but I find it annoying to have to go back and forth in orientation in order to find the best matching keyboard for the situation. When I'm in a hurry the accelerometer can be sluggish in changing orientation, albeit the 3GS processor bump improved this, it's still not right. My only annoyance with 3.0 is this, the entire experience should be one way or the other based on preference. Orientation should be made universal across all of the stock apps (apps loaded when iPhone is first started, those produced by Apple), the rest can be whatever the App creator wants. These somewhat simple changes are useful and dramatic. So, lets see em' Apple.

10. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I think that Apple could easily implement an on/off/auto switch for when you want it one way or the other. They could also add in a button similar to the multiple keyboard button that would switch the screen to landscape or vertical when you wanted it that way even though you might have landscape turned off.

11. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I didn't take it negatively. I'm picking up what you're putting down. :cool:

12. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

Yes, when I'm texting, emailing, or browsing in landscape I find it very annoying that it switches back to portrait when I switch between applications.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just my opinion but I honestly wish there was a way to disable landscape as well, just like others here.

It can be annoying at times. For me at least it is harder to type via landscape then it is in normal view.

I will add that viewing Safari in landscape is really cool but other than that it's not one of my favorite features.

Just an opinion however. To each their own.

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I wouldn't use it, but the option would be great to have. I might experiment with it, but I like portrait.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't use it in it's current state with TM or Email; where are those bunnies??? :p:p:p

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

How is a landscape home screen that important to business users?

17. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

I like the idea of full landscape support. I would like to view the home screen in landscape and dial numbers that way as well.

18. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Is it possible to get Cydia or Installer on a jailbroken iPhone without having to re-jailbreak? Can I just add them manually? I installed a clean jailbreak simply for unlock a while back as I wasn't interested in any jailbreak apps, but this sounds necessary for me and would make using my iPhone in bed much, much more of a pleasurable experience.

19. James.123 macrumors regular

Yes i love the idea, but i would only do it if there was an option to turn it on/off