Would you buy 5.5" if it had better specs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Aug 21, 2014.

?

Would better specs move you to a 5.5" iPhone 6?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2014.
  1. I'm getting the 5.5" regardless

26 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. I'll only get the 5.5" if the specs are better than 4.7"

14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. I'm getting the 4.7" regardless

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. I'll wait and see

20 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Curious what people think. Although I personally doubt it, some rumors have suggested the 5.5" will have better specs than the 4.7". Perhaps more RAM, a faster processor speed, and probably a bigger battery.

Question: If any of the above are true would you get the 5.5" just for the better specs?

:apple:

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

It would have to have exclusive features. Simply having a faster processor or more RAM would not be enough.

3. ctbaz macrumors member

I feel like I would get it regardless. But the sapphire screen and better A8 would be nice.

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'll be getting the 5.5" regardless. I'm not one for specs, I just care about a bigger screen to view content.

5. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Wouldn't matter to me - as long as the 4.7" gets upgrades too, I couldn't care less if the 5.5" has MORE upgrades.

I'd rather spend less and get a screen size I actually can handle.

(*I say this now, but I'm also trying to figure out how I can get my hands on both if they both turn out to exist :p*)

6. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

I definitely won't be getting the 5.5. I chose "Wait and See", because I'm not sure I want the 4.7 either.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Won't be a a very difficult decision if there is no 5.5" ^^

8. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

9. I7guy macrumors G5

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It depends. I only need an upgrade to 32GB, and want TouchID. I'm leaning 5S at a discount.

I care nothing for A8 and more CPU/GPU power, I care nothing for LTE-A rumors, and the larger size puts me off.

Apple can win me to 4.7inch if it's required for some new RFID payment solution. If they hold that out for the 5.5inch, they might drag me kicking and crying that far.

To be clear, I strongly doubt RFID will come to fruition, as I don't think it's a great solution going forward, and Apple has continued to shun it. I'd rather see BTLE authentication grow and become the standard. But if it comes, I want to have it in my device :) I know, I'm crazy.

So... waiting and seeing.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. While it is hard to decide without knowing anything about the devices, this would be my initial thoughts as well.

12. zone23 macrumors 68000

I couldn't find the specs. on the Apple site do you have a link, please..

13. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

exactly, i wouldn't see any significant improvements with that on a phone and would then end up getting the 4.7.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

No I'm getting the 4.7 just because I don't want to have that big of a phone. But I'm really really really hoping that apple makes them the same phone the only thing setting them a part should be size.

15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

If they screw us over because we just don't want an enormous screen, I will be furious. This needs to he an iPad mini with Retina and iPad Air sort of situation. Same specs, different screen size. I already have a somewhat strapped budget, and I HAVE to get the newest device/specs. I find getting a device that isn't the newest is a waste of money, just spend a bit more, and the device will last an entire year extra, if not, longer. So pretty much, if the 5.5 inch phone has better specs, I will want to buy it regardless, which will force me to spend a lot more money for a phone I don't really want.

16. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

If the 5.5" didn't exist and we got the normal update, everyone would be happy. But add in a 5.5" that goes over and above the normal update and all of the sudden Apple is screwing people over?

I still don't understand this sentiment and I still wonder why we accept various differences across a variety of display sizes in laptops but refuse to do so in smartphones and tablets.

17. techspin macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 6 hasn't been announced yet. Poll is just asking which phone you would buy if you had a choice between 4.7" or 5.5" sizes.

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Lol this mentality. You don't really HAVE to HAVE anything.

19. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

No, I am saying like if they put the A8 and 2GB of RAM in the 5.5 but the A7 and 1GB of RAM in the 4.7. There was another thread where someone was expecting this, and I couldn't help but think of it here.

20. jrswizzle, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Gotcha - I would be upset with this as well and HIGHLY doubt it would happen.

My guess (forgive the camera specs....I'm not sure about MPs and aperture size....suffice to say the 4.7" will get a camera bump and the 5.5" will get one better than that):

iPhone 6 - 4.7" display
    -1.7-1.8 GHz A8
    -1GB of RAM
    -10-12MP camera (maybe an f2.0 aperture)
    -The rumored battery capacity of 1810 mAh
    -The rumored resolution of 1704 x 960

iPhone 6 - 5.5" display
    -2.0 GHz A8
    -2GB RAM
    -12-16MP camera (maybe an f1.8 aperture)
    -Rumored battery capacity of 2915 mAh
    -Rumored resolution of 1704x960 (or potentially 1920x1080)

We either get sapphire across all or none. I doubt we see any segmentation.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I want the 4.7" i think the 5.5 is too big....I think the note looks absolutely ridiculous when people are talking on it.....but if it has better features my decision will be difficult. unless the 5.5 is delayed then ill just get the 4.7 and kick myself later.

22. XTheLancerX, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Yeah, well in that case I probably would still go with the 4.7 then. I don't think I would be able to comfortably use a 5.5 inch phone, it just is way too big in my opinion, although I understand how people would want a more immersive screen. I still think that putting like 1GB of RAM in the 4.7 and 2GB of RAM would be a bit too large of a difference, that is double the RAM for a phone that is the same generation, just a bit bigger. However, a larger battery is perfectly fine with me, the phone needs it because it has a much larger screen to power, possibly more pixels, but we'll see for that. Better camera, I am neutral for. It all depends on how much better it is. Annnnd faster clocked A8, I suppose I am neutral on that as well. Depends on how much faster it is. For the A7 in the Retina Mini vs. the Air, it's only 1.29GHz vs. 1.39GHz. Not really big enough of a difference to phase me, I have a Retina Mini and am perfectly fine with it. I have yet to see any performance difference between my Retina Mini and my friends Air.

[Edit] Alright, well now that I made my post, I see you edited yours lol. I don't see them increasing the CPU to 2.0GHz. *maybe* like a 1.6-1.7 GHz at the most. *MAYBE* finally quad core CPU, but we'll see. Apple tends to be quite conservative, and I think bumping anything up to 2 GHz is a bit much for how Apple usually does things. That goes for the camera as well, I am thinking they may keep 8 megapixels on the 4.7 with more lens improvements, or maybe 10 megapixels. That also means for the 5.5 inch phone, 10 megapixels with increased lens quality (if they keep improved 8 megapixel on 4.7) or a 12-13 megapixel camera with lens improvements on the 5.5 if they bump the 4.7 to 10 megapixels. RAM, I am thinking they either keep all at 1GB, or bump both to 2GB. Maaayybee like 1.5GB of RAM on 4.7 and 2GB of RAM on 5.5? I know those are really weird numbers, and it would require more room I think (I am no expert, but I assume that would require a set with 1024MB of RAM, and a second set with 512MB of RAM. And isn't the RAM on these devices located inside the on board chip?) I just really think 1GB on the 4.7 while 2GB on the 5.5 is a bit extreme of a difference for a phone of the same iteration, just different sizes along with a couple minor spec bumps. Oh and finally, I don't think those will be the screen resolutions. Apparently in the latest Xcode 6 Software a Development Kit, they discovered a new resolution, 828x1472. Increasing the resolution to 1920x1080 on the 5.5 would make a lot more work for app developers. The weird resolutions Apple uses apparently is easier to make pixel for pixel accurate apps, resulting in the higher app quality we generally see in iOS vs Android. But I am NOT a developer and know nothing when it comes to that, so...

23. JAT macrumors 603

Just got a One in the house, which has a 5.0" screen. It's too big for my taste. 5.5" is right out!

24. zone23 macrumors 68000

Oh I thought it was asking if the 5.5 had better specs would I buy it. I haven't seen the specs of either phone so I can't really answer that question. If Apple releases a 5.5 I will be hanging on to it a lot longer than previous phones so I will be willing to spend a little extra on it.

25. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

[​IMG]
    Yes... yes... come to the DARK SIDE of the force.