Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I am looking to get an iPhone 4 on Verizon's network now, in order to obtain the unlimited data plan. This will be a new cell phone account. They have the best coverage in my area, and there will be no 4G coverage where I live until at least 2013 (according to the Verizon Store). I do not think there will be much benefit to me to wait for a world phone (the presumed next iPhone bump) because I do not travel outside the US. I am trying to limit the initial cost of the phone to around $200, so I am not considering purchasing a new iPhone 4 32GB. Thus, I am considering whether I should purchase a new iPhone 4 16GB for $199 with 2yr contract or whether I should purchase a certified preowned iPhone 4 32GB for $229 with 2yr contract. Any thoughts on a certified preowned iPhone 4 through Verizon? Are there any advantages to a world phone for a US cell phone user?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Edit: Verizon allows 14 days to return the device if not satisfied for any reason.

Last edited:

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Is certified preowned V's cute term for refurb?

Verizon distinguishes between refurb and certified preowned. A Verizon rep told me that V does not sell refurbs because they use refurbs to replace defective iPhones. V was not clear on the difference.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
That sounds like some marketing BS. I'd get the "refurb" if you want to save some money. However, it's really not that much savings, so if you want new, get new. I had some bad experiences with 3G refurbs (all wifi issues), so I'm not so quick to advise people to get them as I was in the past. Perhaps the 4 has less issues. Mine has been perfect.

The advantages of a "world" phone will take awhile in the US, but who knows what the next phone will have. If you can wait, wait.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I just chatted with Verizon again, and it seems they ARE the same, only refurbs go to existing customers but certified preowned phones go to all/new customers.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
That sounds like some marketing BS. I'd get the "refurb" if you want to save some money. However, it's really not that much savings, so if you want new get that. I had some bad experiences with 3G refurbs (all wifi issues), so I'm not so quick to advise people to get them as I was in the past. Perhaps the 4 has less issues. Mine has been perfect.

The advantages of a "world" phone will take awhile in the US, but who knows what the next phone will have. If you can wait, wait.

You were right. I would consider waiting, but I think I would prefer to have the unlimited data plan. MacWorld has posted an e-mail from Verizon’s executive director of corporate communications Brenda Boyd Raney who has confirmed that “Verizon Wireless is making some minor changes to data plans including those for new smartphone customers. We will move to a more usage based pricing model in July.”

So is your phone a certified preowned?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Oops, forgot about the unlimited. By all means get it now.

I have 2 new iPhone 4's. I recently bought one for the wife, since she had to have one now and she would never care about the new features that might be added in the fall. I'll upgrade myself then.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
My wife has a certified preowned iphone4 through Verizon. The one she had stopped playing sound so Verizon replaced it. So far no issues. Seems like a solid phone to me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I recently bought one for the wife, since she had to have one now and she would never care about the new features that might be added in the fall. I'll upgrade myself then.

You actually found a woman that would have you? Congrats! Did she lose a bet or something? :D

steeler

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
If it's not too late, I almost opted for a "certified preowned" 32GB iPhone 4 from VZ today, but went new instead. I know that the Apple refurb store sends out good stuff, but for some reason, my "gut feeling" told me not to trust these from VZ.

Who knows, they could be OK and I missed out.

If it was refurbished and sold through the Apple Store, I wouldn't have hesitated.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
You don't need AppleCare. You have a year warranty. And it gets extended 3 months if you get one right before it ends.

Are Verizon refurbs different from AT&T refurbs with regards to warranty? With an AT&T refurb, you get a 90 day warranty, not a one year warranty.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
You actually found a woman that would have you? Congrats! Did she lose a bet or something? :D

Las Vegas and drugs/drinking. :D

Hold on, all these years I thought you were a female. :D
Your old avatar had me fooled. So you're not a chick?

I'm not? :)

Are Verizon refurbs different from AT&T refurbs with regards to warranty? With an AT&T refurb, you get a 90 day warranty, not a one year warranty.

That's not true. If you buy a refurb, you get the standard 1 year warranty. If you are getting a refurb after returning a defective iPhone, you get 90 days or the length of the warranty, whichever is greater. I only know about AT&T.

Last edited:

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If it was a refurb from Apple directly, I'd totally get it.

From Verizon, AT&T, Best Buy or any other third party seller, I'd be more hesitant. We USED to think that the third-party refurbs are coming from the same source as Apple-direct refurbs, but people have been reporting that there's a lot more physical defects and problems with the non-Apple refurbs. Whereas aside from the serial number, you usually can't tell the difference between a new iPhone and an Apple-refurbed one.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I have no problems with a refurb/certified phone. In fact, I like the idea that a phone was given a closer look. And especially with AppleCare and the Verizon return policy the OP quoted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.