would you buy a cinema display, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by creativeNRG, Mar 14, 2007.

  1. creativeNRG macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2007
    im about to purchase a 17in macbook pro bc my old 15in powerbook just died basically. i was thinking to add a display to work a little better at home (bc originally i was going to get the g5 but decided a laptop might be better). Im a freelance graphic designer so the screen would help, but there are rumors new displays might appear. what would you do?
  2. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I would wait, I don't expect they will go too much longer without an update, most likely with new Mac Pro 8-cores possibly at NAB in early April or maybe sooner.
  3. creativeNRG thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2007
    i guess i should wait. maybe by upgrading to the 17in it will give me atleast a little more screen to design so i would be ok for a little while.
  4. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2007
    I was wondering the same thing, but ACDs are so expensive, I haven't been willing to pony-up the cash yet. My local CompUSA is closing, & they had the ACD's for 10% off; this store is supposedly going to remain open only as long as they have appreciable inventory. I'll make another visit today or tomorrow, and if they have a further markdown in price (say, 20% off), I'll probably just go ahead & buy one.
  5. creativeNRG thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2007
    if they were cheaper that would be a different story possibly. where is that comp usa located?
  6. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2007
    It's in Omaha, NE, but I read that CompUSA is closing down something like 130 stores nationwide...
  7. djkny macrumors 6502

    Sep 30, 2003
    Wait until after 4/15, NAB & Tax day. You'll feel better that way.
    Ponying up for a $599 Apple 20" LCD?? No way, no how.
  8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

    Jan 13, 2003
    I just bought an 20-inch ACD last week at CompUSA, got 10% off. I figured that's the best I could do. The display is awsome, ran PixelCheck, no dead or stuck pixels that I could find and no light bleedthrough. It's perfect and beautiful.

    As for increased discounts, don't count on it unless it's an open box or display model. They have a 23-inch ACD display model but it has a pink hue on the top of the screen so I passed on it. Still can't afford the discounted 30-inch. What they don't sell will probably just be moved to the remaining stores.

    The other monitors they have are cheaper but they feel cheap and the plastic creaks when you move the screen around, and they look ugly. I have no regrets about my ACD purchase, even if Apple comes out with a new one I still wouldn't buy it becasue I always wait for the bugs and problems to be ironed out first.
  9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020


    Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Bought a 23"ACD last week and love it. Buy it if you need it, else wait. But normally they are updated once a year in August/September (check the buying guide). Only if Apple introduces a new model/or some really great enhancement will this be earlier in the year. Although I don't think that will come earlier. Next update for the ACD line will probably be leds for backlight and I don't see that coming before August. Maybe Apple will introduce a new display in size and that will come earlier.

Share This Page