Would you buy a Late 2013 rMBP refurb now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndyR, Feb 17, 2016.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

About to purchase a rMBP after selling my 2011 model last year and being windows based since then, and want to go back :) I dont buy new as always brought refurbs as I dont need the latest, nor can afford it.

In NZ they have a Late 2013 15" rMBP/16/512/750m which is perfect for me and its $1500NZ cheaper than the current top 15", and performance doesn't seem that much for beneficial for what I do.

But is it crazy to buy one now? I dont plan on upgrading to a new model as I only do light gaming occasionally and the specs are fine for me and I love the form factor and design of the current one.

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I would go with one without the dedicated graphics chip in it if I were to buy right now, because the failure rate on those is just too high for me to honestly recommend it to anyone.

3. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Thx. Would prefer the dgpu due to options of lighter gaming as I plan to keep it s while and was t aware of the 750m having issues so will take a look at that thanks. Had issues with my 2011 mbp so keen to not do that again :)

4. mellofello macrumors 65816

Yes I would. 2013 is the year that they did the haswell upgrade. Compared to a 2012 it added many hours of battery life. Each year since then have been small iterations IMO. This year will probably see a big change and new form factor, but if you are on a budget you cannot go wrong.

5. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

Can you find a used market? It's prob will save you a few hundreds.

6. AndyR thread starter macrumors 6502a

AndyR

The used market here in NZ seems to be same similar price to refurb so would prefer that for he extra warranty.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Seems like you have the right data to make an informed decision. If you're fine taking the risk with the dGPU, then go for it, because it is a decent price, and will have the 1 year Apple warranty (and you can get AppleCare during that 1 year to extend it to 3 years.)