Would you buy a Lower-End Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FF_productions, Oct 27, 2008.

?

Would you buy a Lower-End Mac Pro?

1. Yes!! OMG for sure!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Maybe, depends how Apple specs it...

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. No!!

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A curious question, I made the poll simple just to avoid criticism for having stupid options.

By Lower-End, I mean a new price point, under $2k.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No, I wouldn't care anything about a low-end Mac Pro. I really like my 24" iMac.

3. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Not worth it. The Mac Pro is truly a pro machine. Unless you are a video or graphic editor on a huge scale (Pixar or professional photography studio), the Mac Pro is really not worth it. Take a look at my signature at the machine I have. It is the best Mac set up one could ask for. I'd recommend either an iMac or a new MBP or MBA with a new LED display. :)

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not really sure what you are hoping to determine from this. There are hundreds of posts on this forum from people who want such a system if you are just trying to see if there is a need/want.

5. loslosbaby macrumors member

Mac Pro low-end?

A test performed by the guys are FredMiranda.com showed that a lower-spec MacPro with 5Gb of memory did a lot better than the faster one with 2Gb. My business partner has a mac pro that is low-spec (first gen) and it has 6Gb in it...and it is a class of fast that is light years faster than my current-spec MBP, let me tell you.

Just the bus speed is insane!

He got that machine when I had my PB17 (last of the V8 interceptors) and I remember thinking "geesh, his bus speed is TEN TIMES mine".

If you work with large files, the Xeons are a different class, truly.

6. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

There are lots of discussions on this, but no polls for what I've seen as of late.

Keep in mind, I do own a Mac Pro, but was wondering what the general consensus is on Apple adding a lower-end Mac Pro. This would basically would be the mid-tower people have been begging for since I don't see Apple making another tower at a low price, it's just not their agenda.

Barefeats ran a test on new MacBook pro's vs Mac Pro's, the comparison keeps it dead obvious that the Mac Pro is king of the hill and will remain that way, encase people thought otherwise for some reason.

Here's the tests:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What makes it more ridiculous is that is the standard 2.8 ghz mac pro. I'd love to see the Mac Pro clocked at 3.2 ghz and OC'ed to 3.6 ghz (I think it can go to 3.6, maybe 3.4 not sure).

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This thread is too general. It doesn't even make much sense, because there are far too many reasons to say no.

I wouldn't buy a lower end Mac Pro because I would only consider a laptop. However, this doesn't mean I don't believe it's a good idea, or that I don't want one in the lineup.

If you only meant to direct your question towards people who would consider buying a desktop (i.e. people who are more relevant in answering the question that you posed), then I shouldn't be included.

Perhaps you should only be asking people whether they think it's a good idea for Apple to include such an option in their line-up. Even if I'd never consider buying a desktop again, I think it would be a GREAT idea for Apple to make a Mac Pro with lower specs, or perhaps a version of their current Mac Pro aluminium casing that's half the current machines height, and a bit thinner. However, I'd still answer "no" to the question. :confused:

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Not really, the price point between four and octo core is tiny compared to the performance difference. Now, if apple were to release a lower end model that only had one CPU socket and cost substantially less then it would be worth considering.

9. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I'd say go for the low end mac pro. Its only a little bit more than the top of the line imac and you get drastic performance gains. Not only that you can expand you ram to greater than 4gb.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

it's not a little more. That is quite a difference of at least 500 bucks plus monitor etc.

11. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Definitely would buy one (If I had the money).

Would mean the end of needing to theoretically purchase a new iMac every 3 years when the already low end graphics card becomes obsolete.

Upgradability is a huge plus, you get so much more out of the machine.
    With technologies like USB 3.0 set to come out, a new FireWire or eSATA from today (not found in iMacs) , there's no need to worry that your machine won't be able to use the latest hardware in a few years time, just slot in an expansion card.

It would also enable tipple screen productivity.

12. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I already own a '08 8 Core Mac Pro. If I didn't own one and a lower-end model was offered, I would consider seeing as this is utter overkill. However, I like the prospect of having this Mac Pro last me a really long time.

Even though I'll probably replace it as soon as the AppleCare runs out.

13. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

If Apple would release a Tower with the specs of my Hackintosh for about 200€ more i would be very tempted to buy one.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

How much did it cost you?

15. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I made a short summary in another Thread Link. Just add 65€ for iLife 55€ for the Firewire 800 card and 10€ for Bluetooth. -> About 1465€ that's much cheaper than the base MacPro ( about 2200€ in germany).

16. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I'm not sure how much use it will be to you as it will be to any one as it is very skewed.

If we consider what Apple could do for a midrange desktop then it doesn't seem logical to me that they could market it and that it wouldn't cut in to already profitable ranges.

A Mac Pro is currently around the price of the sum of it's parts at retail prices. If we take away the processors from the base price (of the old or current) we get ~$1,100. So the new Mac pro might be $3,000 ($951 for a 2.66GHz Xeon). I'd say $800 would be a fair figure for parts for a single socket desktop, the system board would be the most considerable difference in price, then a non-E-ATX sized case and lower grade PSU would have less value. Add the Nehalem processors on to this and we have 2.66GHz @ ~$1,100, 2.93GHz @ ~$1,400 and 3.2GHz @ ~$1,800. Those prices would be above what others were charging when Nehalem is fully available, and well above what you will be able to build it for. Apple would probably charge more than that if they actually did do it to get similar margins to other products, making price comparisons and reviews (which price would be a major focus of) come up against it.

How does Apple then sell Mac Pros? Train staff on what applications and workflows can utilize 8 slower cores over 4 faster ones? Then we have the issue of iMacs. When people see they can get a lot more power and just get a cheap $200-$300 display then iMac sales drop, which due to the display sale going to Apple are probably one of the most profitable desktops under $3,000 out there for a company.

I think Apple are happy to continue to have high margins on systems below (iMac) and above (Mac Pro) the single socket quad core computer and force people to go that way or not buy Apple than get in to that market.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think they're have to replace all that workstation grade hardware with more typical consumer grade stuff. At which point it would really cease to be a "Mac Pro."