Would you buy a Portrait Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by junkw, Mar 6, 2016.

?

Would you buy a portrait macbook?

1. yes

1.8%
  2. no

94.5%
  3. maybe

3.6%
  1. junkw macrumors regular

My desktop monitor is vertical (portrait).
    I love it.

I'd buy a MacBook with portrait display anyday.
    Better for the neck.

I wonder why no laptop company make one.
    Sure one can use a tablet in portrait but a real laptop with fixed keyboard would be great

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It would have to be really big, since the keyboard still needs to be a certain width, then the screen would be even taller. That would also cause a lot of wasted space on the keyboard half of the laptop. Not to mention videos would be extremely weird to watch on a laptop like that.

I mostly use my iPad in portrait, but the majority of my use on the iPad is browsing the web. The majority of my laptop use is watching videos, so I don't think I'd buy a portrait laptop.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering the size it would have to be to accommodate a keyboard it would be way too big.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because it's impractical and the market would be tiny. Even smaller than the market for the 17" MacBook Pro.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Hell no. Not only do I dislike narrow displays, it would mean that the keyboard would either have to be tiny, or have a full-sized keyboard, which means the display will have a giant 10 or so centimeter border on each side, basically making it pointless.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

On the plus side, it would make watching all those videos from people who refuse to turn their phone sideways when recording much easier to watch.

7. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

But those portrait videos are so inefficient in terms of space usage that I'd rather not watch them at all.

8. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It really depends on what's being recorded and what device it's being used on, though.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

This must be the weirdest suggestion on MacRumors yet. Think of the size of it!

10. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This thread is a Macrumors collectible.

11. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

12. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Does anyone remember this monitor?

It worked well for word processing.

[​IMG]

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

No, because your lap is only so long, tray tables in aircraft are only so deep, etc.

If you're doing DTP, then that's a bit different - for one you're normally working at a desk, and not trying to do so in a cramped environment or on the move.

if you ARE wanting to do DTP on a macbook, plug in a monitor.

14. campyguy macrumors 68030

I do, but never purchased one. A few years after that, I ended up with a Radius Portrait Display (so very heavy!), mated to my PowerMac 8500. Now, I'm using two Dell P2715Q displays mounted to Herman Miller Flo arms. I have a technical writing degree, and am hopelessly addicted to portrait displays... :D

15. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I think it's less a case of "refuse to" and more a case of "too stupid to"...

16. junkw, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

junkw thread starter macrumors regular

me too. much better in portrait. wonder why I used a horizontal monitor for years.
    Portrait is a lot better for me for coding, editing documents, web surfing. It's way more natural.

Sure for movie watching the value is probably different.

For a gamer I don't know...Probably some types of games are better in portrait and some better in landscape
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2016 ---
    Depends... Waytool's TextBlade is going to kill the traditionnal keyboard. If I were Apple, I'd buy Waytools and put the TextBlade in a Portrait Macbook.

It could accomodate bigger batteries that last 24 hours. Could be a game changer laptop... If it is made by Apple. I would not trust any other company to make it "right".

17. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Would be a great solution for all those portrait iPhone videos on the web.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

considering the form factor, portrait isn't an option

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I can't say that this would be a good idea, or least good for my needs.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah I've seen that, and it doesn't seem useful at least for typing anything long, which would be the main purpose of a portrait MacBook. There wouldn't be much of a market for it.

21. TheDrift-, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

The only way I could see this happening is if they made a detachable screen.

Maybe a few years down the line there could be an iPad pro that might be powerful enough to replace the MBP, as another option, can't see it soon tho

22. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I think you have your answer 'why no laptop company make one'. According to your survey you're the only person who would buy one.

23. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

There's the occasional situation where this would be nice, but all the time? No way. I suppose they could hypothetically put the display on some kind of swivel that could rotate between portrait and landscape but I doubt that's a common request.

24. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Lol 1 "yes" and 45 "no"s. I would think there'd be at least a few people who would want one.