Would you buy a quasi 2 mini setup?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by wiredup72, Apr 10, 2015.

1. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

Read the thread about the power savings of a mini vs. the Pro. Apples and oranges, but a very good discussion about the cost of running a machine.

So, that gave me an idea of a mini setup I would like if I could design the next mini.

Two boxes. Either the same size, or as small as possible, but built with an aluminum case for heat syncing.
    Box 1 - CPU - PCU, memory, HD, etc.
    Box 2 - Graphics amplifier. (Something like the Alienware)

Don't need Xeon power, want a quad core or two, want a pro style graphics card that could be upgraded by Apple and replaced two years down the road without having to replace the CPU.
    Want to drive a three monitor rig setup but don't need a $4,000 machine or you want a 34" curved monitor. Why not?

I know, I know, that's not Apple's bag. Whatever. I'm baked and it sounds good to me.

Edit: Peace, I'm going up to my cave to watch Bob Marley live in Germany on my ipad served from my Qnap Plex server and that took my MBP 7 hours to rip in Handbrake.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hooking 2 computers together is far far more difficult than you think. Basically it can't be done - both operate independently.