Would you buy a refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sure

Cheaper price
    Thorough reworking of equipment
    Warranty

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A lot people buy Apple refurbs and are happy with it.

I don't buy refurbs because I had a few bad experiences with other manufacturers.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course! Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.

Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

5. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Just bought a refurb Airport Extreme. It looks brand new. Only real difference is, the package comes without the Apple logo. You have the same warranty and can add the Protection plan if you need it.

If your hardware is available in the refurb store, i would get it. If it sucks, return and buy new. Often enough, people even get better hardware than what they ordered (like free cpu upgrade on a Macbook).

6. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Are there current generation refurbs? Or do they only do previous gen refurbs?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They have current gens from time to time, but those usually sell quickly.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

I just placed an order for a 13" cMBP from Amazon in like new condition with a 30 day return window for $949. That's roughly 21% off. :)

I was thinking of getting the i7 13" cMBP but that was only like 15% off so the lesser spec'd model was the better deal.

9. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

No. I'm a student and the student discount is nearly the same price as a refurb anyways.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, furthermore if your charisma modifier rolls are higher than the sales person's rolls, you can persuade them to give you a student discount even when you're not a student. :D

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Absolutely yes! (And I'm sure most members on here would/have, too)

I have never owned/used a single refurb product that has gone bad due to the fact it's a refurb (the only problems are user-fault such as dropping a device).

• They are significantly cheaper.
    • They have to pass re-inspection.
    • You may sometimes find *upgraded* parts on a refurb.
    • You get the same warranty and AppleCare (and AppleCare extended options).
    • You won't get treated any differently than someone that bought brand-new.
    • They often have new exterior parts (such as casing, keyboard, and/or trackpack).

There's no reason NOT to get one.

12. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Some will disagree, but I'd have to answer No!

I'm just one of those people that likes taking the wrapping of something and being the 1st to use it. IMHO theres a really good market for used or refurbished devices/laptops/etc, heck I probably sell about 6/7 phones per year because I'm always updating my personal phone/device, and the person that's getting my device is getting one that has been very well taken care of since jump street and most likely wont have a blemish or scratch on it!

However, I'm just not one of those people doing the second hand buying. Always new for me!

13. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Interesting take on the issue.

I too always (or at least try to) take very good care of my machines. I like them looking as new as possible for as long as possible.

I've never thought of refurb as buying second-hand. In my opinion, it's like buying brand new (or good as new). The only real and noticeable difference is that it comes in a white box instead of a fancy Apple box.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet if Apple put refurb machines in brand new boxes, no one would be able to notice the difference.

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Yes, absolutely for all the reasons stated above. Apple ones in particular are of very high quality, and it's backed by Apple's 14 day return policy, as well as the standard 90 day tech support/1 year warranty. I mean, why not?

15. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Exactly. Which goes to show Apple's confidence in their refurb products.

Other companies will give you little to no warranty or support on refurbs.

16. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Unless you're someone who has to have the whole "unboxing experience," then there's no difference getting a refurb. I've had my 2012 cMBP for a little over a month now. I've definitely put this machine through its paces and no issues have cropped up.

I chose to go the refurb route after reading many positive experiences from other people around here. If you can save a few bucks and still get the current model with what you want, I figured why not?

17. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My last two Macs were a PB G4 New and a MBP Unibody refurb. Both had the same problems. The refurb was a 2008 which had serval problem. Apple replaced it with another refurb that had the same problems of the other refurb. All were repaired

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I almost always buy refurbs. Macs are expensive enough. IF you are NOT the type who has the have the latest gadget the minute it comes out, then refurbs will save you quite a bit of money over time.

19. Robster3 macrumors 68000

How does resale affect a refurb not having the original Apple box to sell it in?

20. JackBurton70 macrumors newbie

Personally I think the real question is what is your price range? Because if you are saving pennies to try and afford a macbook pro, then you should definitely go with a refurb, but if this is just going to be a quick buy that really isn't going to take a divot in your wallet, then go grab one out of the box.

Then again it really is your personal preference on whether you want to take a small risk. I have heard that Apple's refurbished products are one of the closest companies to get their supply of gadgets very close to new. Best of luck to you.
    -------------------------------
    Jack
    Best AMD APU Processors

21. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

The refurbs have new cases and batteries. You'd never know the difference. In fact, you'd be more likely to get a lemon buying new than one of Apple's refurbs.

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

Do you get a 1 year warranty from Apple when buying a Like New MBP from Amazon?

23. Liquinn Suspended

Not sure, I guess you could buy a box on eBay for cheap.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have a problem or fear of a refurb but I've yet to buy one. I'm lucky that I work for an institution that provides an education discount (teaching hospital) so while the refurb discounts can be a bit larger, I'm able to get a break on the price anyways.