Would you buy a Rev A MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon4lakers, May 14, 2007.

  1. jon4lakers macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #1
    With new MBP's around the corner I'm wondering if you would buy it as soon as it came out, or wait a couple of months to get the bugs worked out?

    What have your experiences with first gen Mac products been?

    It will be my first Mac and I want everything to be perfect!


    Thanks.
     
  2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

    StealthRider

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2002
    Location:
    Yokosuka, Japan
    #2
    The next MacBook Pro to be released will be a Revision C product, albeit with a slightly different chipset from the previous two revisions.
     
  3. zioxide macrumors 603

    zioxide

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2006
    #3
    The way Intel is releasing new technology, the revision thing isn't like it used to be.. It's not like the old IBM days where they'd bump the speed on the G4 from 1.2 to 1.33 and have that be a revision B or something. Intel will release a new technology and Apple will put it in, and in 6 months intel will release something else new and that will be the new revision.

    People here seem to exaggerate the problems. They have been testing the products for weeks before releasing them, so they've usually worked out all of the bugs. And if not, then they'll fix it.
     
  4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #4
    i don't think the new santa rosa macbook pros will be all that different from the current offering. would these even be considered to be revision a? either way, the ultra-portable is the computer i'll be looking for, and i supposed that will be a revision a product. and yeah, i'll buy it if it appeals to me (and my wallet).

    i bought a rev. a ibook g4 and a rev. a dual usb ibook g3, and i had problems with neither.
     
  5. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    I bought a Rev A MacBook. It served me really well without any issues (no discolouring, no funkiness) up to my buying a new MBP last weekend. So yeah, I'd probably buy a Rev A MacBook Pro (which incidentally was the Core Duo model when Intel Macs were first released).
     
  6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #7
    It's not the same thread. The OP's main concern is the reliability of revision A products. He asks what people's previous experiences have been with such macs and whether revision A status should deter him from purchasing a MacBook Pro at launch.
     
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #8
    There's a little bit more risk involved with buying a largely untested (as in not released on the population at large for long) product. However, I do like to buy new technology while it's still new, and, with the exception of mobile phones, I've really had very few headaches.
     
  8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #9
    ah ok. I thought they go hand in hand.
     
  9. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #10
    It's not the Intel processor I'm worried about so much as the hypothetical LED display.

    Throwing it all together, what if the MBP is all-new (more or less). Form factor, display and chip upgrade. And whatever else. How big is the downside?
     
  10. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    #11
    I would wait till the actual mbp is out then I will comment. My best bet is to wait for all the reviews and people's experiences for a few weeks then decide. I am curious how the LED display will play out. The intel chipset shouldn't be that big of an upgrade. As for the new form factor, I will wait and see whether that is true then decide accordingly.
     
  11. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #12
    I see no reason why they can't update the case. Personally, I'm waiting another month to purchase unless I'm 100% positive it's what I want. A macbook with discrete graphics may be tempting as well.
     
  12. coledog macrumors 6502a

    coledog

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Location:
    Adirondacks
    #13
    I LIKE the case except for the button to open it. All this talk about different chipsets etc, is there a chance of better/louder speakers?
     
  13. PDE macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    #14
    If it's just a speed bump or chip change, yes. If it's a new design in any way: NO. Never again will I try to buy a rev A Apple product. It's not worth the hassle.
     
  14. SMM macrumors 65816

    SMM

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    Location:
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    #15
    I will not disagree, but will point-out, others may not have shared the same experiences you have. I have purchased Rev A for:

    PowerMac 2.0 Dual
    PowerMac 2.5 Quad
    MacPro 2.66 Quad
    Tiger
    Panther
    Macbook Pro 17"
    Macbook Black
    MacMini G4 1.42
    MacMini Single Core (15 each)
    MacMini Core Dual (8 each)
    Macbook White (sister)
    iMac 20" G5 (brother)
    iMac 24" Intel (father)
    iWork 5
    iWork 6
    FCP 4
    FCS

    I experienced 1 HW issue - that was with DVI on the G4 MacMini. It was quickly resolved. I had an issue with the 10.4.7 upgrade on my Powerbook G4 17". It would not boot. The update program did not appear to complete. I booted from the recovery disk, ran the upgrade again, and did not have another issue.

    If Apple was not as dependable as they have been, I would not be here singing their praises. I was the driving force for installing a Sun enterprise system in a mid-size, aerospace manufacturing company. I also administered it for nearly 6 years. I have also been professionally involved in all aspects of PCs, for nearly as long as they have existed. I never would have thought a company could harness the power of Unix, in a desktop OS my father could use.

    Unix was never intended to be 'for the masses'. AT & T/Bell designed it as an OS which gave virtually total control to programmers. So, the kernel was very lean. Conversely, Windows has continued to 'bloat' with each new release.

    It is easy to jump on the Apple bandwagon. They are not perfect, but only a non-IT person would expect anything better. They bring solid engineering and excellent QC. They are innovators. So, I have no issues with buying their Rev A products.
     
  15. afbuckeye macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #16
    wow... that's impressive

    i have no problem buying Rev A products... i mean, if there is a big enough problem that is going to hinder your experience to where you don't like it. they will fix it. i'm ok with that and i realize that sometimes things need adjusted.
     
  16. jon4lakers thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #17
    So the general verdict is buy em as soon as you can?!?!
     
  17. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #18
    I won't buy a Rev. A anything. I guess I just value my time too much; last thing I want to do is spend MY time dealing w/ Customer Service, or "beta testing" a new release. I waited until march '07 to buy my MBP for exactly that reason. I'd much rather prefer a more "mature" product; just personal preference--there's no "right" or "wrong" answer, IMO.
     

Share This Page