Would you buy a SR MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jigsawjammer, May 17, 2009.

1. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Hi, would you guys consider buying this MBP for $650.00? I know about the 8600 issue but is that for all of them or those built in a certain time frame. I think the deal is good but I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb. I'm a light user and probably wouldn't be doing too much GPU intensive stuff. It was manufactured June 2007. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz)
    Serial #: W874910CX91
    United States
    Out of Warranty

Hardware Overview from System Profiler:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f10
    Serial Number: W874910CX91
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Mem is a little low (2gb vs. 4gb I see most people include).

No warranty, and judging by the manufactured date I assume the extended nvidia warranty will run out around october/nov (depending on when it was purchased) .

I'd buy it (if I were in the market) and there were few scratches and minimal wear. Otherwise not worth it.

3. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Providing that it's in fully working order, that's one hell of deal I say take it.

Upgrading the ram would be a smart thing to do right after you purchase it. Ram is cheap but installation on the older Pro's is a bit time consuming.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

5. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I would be very happy with this computer but I'm worried about the 8600 issues. I don't know if they are starting to see issues and are dumping it or they just want to get rid of it.

Anyone know what are the actual chances of having a bad chip or are all of them messed up. Just nervous about getting it only to lose my money in 6 months or so.

6. Parsec macrumors member

Two gigs isn't that bad. I run mine (3rd gen) with 2 Gigs and it runs fine. And if you need more (which I dounbt considering you are a light user) you can always add more yourself some time in the future. It has more power than you'll use. I wouldn't worry too much about the GPU.

It scratches very easily, so it will be hard to find one without scratches. Mine is still pristine, because they replaced the whole display unit after 8 months. So, with the new display, suddenly I had no scratches anymore.

Hope you'll love it if you decide to get it.

:apple:

7. Jigsawjammer thread starter macrumors regular

Also, what is Apples policy with products bought used? Like if I take it in to get it checked out, will they honor the repair (supposedly it's 2 year coverage on this chip from date of purchase)

8. Parsec macrumors member

I doubt that they will refuse to repair it. Like with a car, if I buy a used car with another year of (extended) warranty on it. They have to fix it.

9. dbernie41 macrumors regular

Seems like a good deal to me. You can get 4 gigs of ram and a 500 gig HD for $140 and you have a hell of a machine for $800.

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

well, maybe, considering that there are PBs selling for that

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

They should. Just get a copy of the original receipt and have the prior owner sign a bill of sale to you that lists the serial number.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's a good price considering the specs; just make sure it's not water damaged.

13. mike5411 macrumors regular

If this is on craigslist, I would be a little weary. I think I have seen the same exact post in my section a couple weeks ago.