Would You Buy A Thunderbolt Display Right Now

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robert81, Aug 17, 2012.

  1. robert81 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    #1
    I purchased a Macbook Pro in Oct 2011.

    I was ready to purchase an iMac to use on my desktop and just realized that getting a thunderbolt display will serve my purposes.

    I want it really bad :)

    I just don't want to jump the gun and have them come out with some amazing upgrade tomorrow and then I will feel slighted.

    I think the features that it offers now is perfect.

    I heard the argument that it has USB 2.0 ports which I am not sure is important to me. I rarely use the USB ports on my MBP except to occasionally transfer some audio files to my iphone.

    So I would welcome any comments and opinions of whether it would be advisable to buy now or hold out until maybe the end of October to see if they come out with some great upgrade.

    Thanks
     
  2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #2
    At best they would upgrade the USB. I would say go for it! I got mine back a few months back knowing the same thing I know now and don't regret it at all.
     
  3. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2004
    #3
    New version is definitely in the works, but the time frame is difficult to estimate.

    If all Apple wants to do is spec bump (update to USB 3.0 and MagSafe 2, remove cover glass to reduce glare and weight), it could happen any day, possibly with Mac mini update.

    But I suspect Apple may be waiting for full Mac Pro update late next year, adding faster Thunderbolt and retina resolution.
     
  4. JoeCanadian, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

    JoeCanadian macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2002
    #4
    I was in the exact same spot - I had used a 24" iMac previously and when its video/motherboard died, I was about to get it repaired when I realized I could buy the larger Thunderbolt display for slightly less money. I'm looking at it right now and its awesome.

    As for the USB thing, I don't see that as being a problem since all my existing devices are Firewire and USB 2.0 and all the ports are full in the back already.

    I can always use the USB 3.0 ports on the MBP if I need to (for example - USB 3.0 thumb drives).

    Also, if you want to save a few bucks, consider buying it from the Apple refurb store - I did and it looks brand new to me!

    I say go for it!
     
  5. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 7, 2012
    Location:
    Little Rock, AR
    #5
    I don't see the TBD being updated before all devices are MagSafe2. Go for it.
     
  6. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #6
    I don't see any major revision for the TBD until a retina version debuts, which IMO isn't happening in the near future. They may update to USB 3.0 and Mag2 sometime soon, but if that isn't very important to you, then go ahead and order one! :)
     
  7. 537635 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2009
    #7

    I just did a few days ago. It comes with a Magsafe adapter. No regrets...
     
  8. sevimli macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #8
    I purchase it from Amazon, there was no adapter in it. Calling Apple or Amazon for the adapter will help?
     
  9. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
  10. NMF macrumors 6502a

    NMF

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2011
    #10
    I'm holding out for USB3 myself. Unlike my Macs, I don't plan on upgrading my display every few years. My future TB Display needs to last me until Apple has a 4K display for <$1000. That's a long ways off.

    USB3 is going to be pretty important, especially 2-3 years down the line.
     
  11. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    #11
    I am just waiting on USB3 myself, then I'll pull the trigger.
     
  12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

    rkdiddy

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    Location:
    OC Baby!
    #12
    Like others have said, I think the revised MagSafe and USB3 seem like a natural progression.

    While I doubt we will see an update in the near future, I would at a minimum wait until 9/14 (or 9/1 to be in the 15 day return window) to see :apple:s updates/releases. If we don't see anything then, I would say the next chance of an update would be in 2013.
     
  13. Destroysall macrumors 65816

    Destroysall

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Location:
    United States
    #13
    Pretty much. Thunderbolt display is the best you can get. Don't expect any resolution higher (retina) anytime soon, so I'd say go for it!
     
  14. Dustman macrumors 65816

    Dustman

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2007

Share This Page