Would you buy a Touch-Screen iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FF_productions, May 21, 2007.

?

Would you buy a Touch-Screen iMac

Poll closed Jul 20, 2007.
  1. Yes!

31 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No!

71 vote(s)
    40.3%
  3. Maybe, it depends (design, price, etc)

74 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

With all this talk about Touch Screen, I decided to make a poll about the interest of Multi-Touch and how it will be integrated with Leopard.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think they'll wait a little while on this...wait until we are used to using it on our iPhones and iPods before they expect us to use it on a larger scale where are weak little arms get tired. If they don't wait, I hope they at least give us a month and an exercise guide to get us up to speed. I think they'll built it into Leopard, but I'm not sure we'll see it in hardware this year.

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Well considering Leopard is coming out in October, I'm sure we'll have enough time to get used to Touch Screen Interfaces with the iPhone.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

If it could drive a 30'' external display, I'd be all over a Multitouch iMac.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Except the iMac is a consumer level product and the iPhone is more of a Pro level phone (price wise)...I don't see them throwing that tech (which presumedly would increase the cost) into the consumer level machines right away. I think they are more likely to introduce the iPhone, then the multi-touch iPod, then perhaps add it as an option on the Cinema Displays and to the MacBook Pro before they introduce it on the consumer level. They'll use the higher-end products to subsidize the R&D costs while slowly introducing these new behaviors into our lives.

I'd love to be wrong though.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would not buy one because I don't like the all in one computers. I might buy a touch screen MacBook Pro though, if it came out by the time I graduate from High School in 2008.

7. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

8. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I have this toughbook panasonic that has a touch screen on it. I don't care for it. I am sure Apple would design something far better. For now if I try using it, I fat finger everything.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

10. ascender macrumors 68020

I just don't see what a touchscreen iMac would have to offer me, let alone how it will work in practice on a desktop machine like the iMac.

11. gavd macrumors 6502a

Not something I'd be interested in at this point. Maybe I'll have changed my mind in a few years?

12. dcv macrumors G3

I agree with this comment. A small touchscreen tablet is one thing but a 17"/20"/24" touchscreen iMac? In retail, yes, but I don't see any practical use for it for the consumer market.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only if it was extremely large and wedge-shaped.

14. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

no i have no use for one, i would rather spend the money on a larger monitor (30 is good) :D

15. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

As if having multi-touch would force you to use it. Why would any of you vote against having more options? Its like saying I would never buy a iMac with a remote control because I don't think I would use it much.

16. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Your right, it wouldn't force me to use it, but it would compel people to get there greasy fingers all over my screen. Which drives me nuts! :mad: :eek:

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've hardly ever used mine.

18. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

Yet you still bought the computer, what a waste. ;)

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I would buy an iMac with a touch panel if it was the only one they offered, and it still had a keyboard included. We aren't ready to give up the KB+M just yet. Besides, I don't really want to be touching my display all the time.

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

sigh, you an still use a touch screen imac as a regular computer with a mouse...

It's obvious that touch screens will take the place as mice. It directly makes the computer more tangible as an object.

21. dcv macrumors G3

Is it?

Right now I'm sitting at work with papers on my desk in the space in front of my keyboard and monitor. If I had to touch the screen rather than use a mouse I'd have to move the monitor a lot further forward or my arms would start to ache. I'd then lose valuable working space on my desk. I can see some benefits of having a touchscreen but don't quite see it replacing "normal" (as we currently know them) methods of using a computer... yet!

22. Since '76 macrumors member

23. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I would be tempted but I woudln't pay more for it. It would have to have a keyboard and mouse though.

I have a horrible feeling that the screen would get dirty and gresy very fast!

24. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Oooh - sounds great. Do you have any pictures ;) :p

Back to reality - I wouldn't rule it out completely, but at the moment I can't see a compelling reason for me to buy a touch screen.

25. richkent72 macrumors regular

I really can't see why most people would want a touch screen on a desk top computer. My arms would need to stretch by a couple of feet to reach and I would need to wear gloves at all times to prevent finger marks all over the place. As computers are increasingly used for home cinema/TV the need is even less as the screen is further away still and finger marks even less desirable.