iPad mini Would you buy a uncompromised iPad mini for $500?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdmoore74, Apr 29, 2013.


Which would you buy?

  1. Today's current iPad mini at $329?

    11 vote(s)
  2. A 32gig iPad mini that matches spec for spec iPad 4 at $500

    31 vote(s)
  3. Or 16gig iPad 4 at $500

    0 vote(s)
  1. cdmoore74, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

    cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

    Jun 24, 2010
    Not sure if this was actually asked but would people be interested in buying a no compromise $500 iPad mini that has the same specs as the latest full size iPad but double the storage. For example:

    Same specs as the iPad 4 but with 32gig instead of 16gig. All other specs remain the same. And when iPad 5 comes out exactly the same specs with 32gig of storage. Which would you guys buy?
  2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a


    Jan 10, 2012
    /home @
    Without hesitating I would buy that mini for $500.
  3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030


    Jan 22, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Success of mini makes you wonder if Steve was off on his iPad design.

    8" seems to be more popular.
    bit early to know for sure.
  4. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    500 dollars, no.

    The current mini meets my needs, I don't really play a lot of games, and I've not been bothered by the screen so if the current model meets those needs why spend 500.
  5. Batavian macrumors 6502


    Mar 10, 2011
    The current base mini is 330. So for 170 more, you would get retina, double the ram, double the storage, faster cpu, faster gpu. Absolutely I'd get it. No brainer.
  6. MandyAW92 macrumors member

    Apr 16, 2013
    I like the Mini as i own one but it didn't cost $500, so no on the price
  7. TacticalDesire, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013

    TacticalDesire macrumors 68020


    Mar 19, 2012
    Seeing as how I already have a mini. No. I wouldn't simply because I couldn't justify it. Despite the subpar screen and paltry RAM I can still conduct business on the go just fine. Fits easy in the hand and can take it to meetings, events, presentations etc. just fine. Maybe after the next couple refreshes.
  8. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i'd rather just wait for the mini to get a retina display, and i'll buy that for $330.
  9. wolfpuppies3 macrumors 6502

    Jun 26, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    Good grief NO! Not when my brand new, purchased directly from Apple, 32 GB Mini cost $429. Why would I want to pay significantly more than list price?
  10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

    Feb 14, 2003
    SF Bay area
    No. I appreciate that many people like the iPad mini. I'm waiting for the iPad 5. I'll get the 64GB with cellular data and Apple care, probably for close to $900. For my business use that is well worth it.
  11. fullauto macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2012
    Overpriced at $500, wait for mini 2 and buy online for less.
  12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    I don't think I can wrap my head around a $500 mini w/o Retina. I bought a 16GB b/c I liked the lower weight and my iPad 3 can't get annoyingly heavy. But the mini screen once your eyeballs are use to Retina is a big compromise, and $500 is a lot of $ for what you get... or don't get.

    So bottom line, I don't think an "uncompromised" mini exists today. If you can hold off until #2 is announced I would, or else just buy a 16GB online for $300 today and sell it in August ahead of the #2 announcement. You should be able to recoup at least 2/3rds of that back... cheap rental.

    Also we don't have any details on what the iPad 5 will look like or weigh. If Apple can cut the weight back to iPad 2 specs then IMHO there is less of a need for the mini other than it being a less expensive price point.
  13. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Jun 24, 2010
    So what if the ipad mini 2 matched the iPad 5? A quad core A7, 2gig of ram, 8mp camera and 32gig.

    And guys, I would be shocked if Apple releases a Retina iPad mini for $330. You kill your full size iPad and it will cost more money to produce.


    Add I'm surprised that not one person picked the full size iPad 4. Apple has really hurt the image of the full size iPad.
  14. sbddude macrumors 6502a

    Sep 27, 2010
    Nor Cal, USA
  15. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

    Apr 28, 2008
    I don't have any iPad (yet) but I agree with the spirit of this thread. Cheap is nice and I do get annoyed when companies (not always Apple) overprice things. But if you deliver a quality product that I want and don't compromise I will happily pay more for it.

    The form factor for the iPad mini is amazing. If iOS7 + a better screen deliver all that is promised I wouldn't mind spending more for it. Although it will be really difficult to decide between a $500 iPad mini vs $500 iPad5...
  16. jrswizzle macrumors 603


    Aug 23, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    I'm thinking about switching back to the full sized iPad when the 5 comes out and selling my mini.

    Now that I have an HTC One, I'm mostly on my phones. My mini is used for watching sports and videos - something done much better with a larger screen. Plus, I carry a bag to work every day, so portability isn't a huge issue, though weight when holding always was.

    Given the rumors of the 5 (light, iPad mini-like design), I might be tempted to go back to the full-size.
  17. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

    Jun 24, 2010

    I also have a Note 2 but I don't want to own a mini with it. A full size iPad 5 makes more sense especially if Apple decides to water the mini down with old specs (mini iPad 3 anyone?). And I really don't want 2 devices with the same OS. Android for phones and iOS for tablets. Now if Apple releases a souped up mini with the same specs as the iPad 5 then I might think about downgrading my phone to something smaller like a S4 or HTC One (and yes, the Note 2 is still bigger than a sub 5" phone). A S4 and a retina mini will make a great odd couple.

Share This Page