Would you buy an Apple Prosumer Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jegi, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jegi macrumors newbie

If Apple made a prosumer-level* Video Camera would you buy it?

*No, the iPhone does not qualify.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Never. Either they would remove features that they don't think you need, make it rediculously expensive and ONLY compatable with iOS/OS X, and if it breaks it will probably cost about 2x as much as it should cost, to repair it. Keep in mind, many people will use a camcorder - even a prosumer one - for more than 3 years.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

No. Apple wouldn't make one anyways.

They'll leave that up to the camera companies.

4. sumone macrumors regular

HAHA! I think I agree with you on this. But that would really suck if they did create a camcorder and put those sort of limitations on it.

5. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

6. stroked Suspended

stroked

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If it's a quality piece of gear why not?

Lethal

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

9. wharv macrumors newbie

Everything is a possibility with Apple. Most people were saying that Apple would never make a phone because there was no 'go to market strategy' as it would be too difficult to manufacture parts for each individual country but look what they managed to come up with. I think that if they did release a camera, it would be logical to fit with their iLife suite and would feature increased functionality with iMovie and iPhoto rather than function with Macs on their own. Don't forget Apple don't hate windows! A majority of Apple consumers are windows users too. Pricing strategy could be close to that of an iPad? 16gb 32gb and 64gb with regard to flash storage. I think it sounds plausible.

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

When I think of "prosumer" cameras, I'm thinking on a price level of 3,000 to 6,000 dollar. Apple won't have a chance in this price segment.
    If you talk about an idiot proof camera for gramma - shoot -> iMovie -> YouTube with just a few mouse klicks - that might even fly.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, I could not agree more. Afterall, Apple's iPod, iPhone, and iPad only work with other iOS devices and MacOS X:rolleyes:

Look. An Apple dedicated camcorder would probably run iOS. This would in no way restrict it to communicating with iOS, MacOS X, or any other particular OS. Oh and another thing--the price. The notion that an Apple camcorder would be more expensive than a comparable rig from the competition, well I can't agree with you more on that one as well. In case you don't get it, I don't agree with you at all. Have you priced tablets lately? The iPad is less expensive than Apple's laptops and is also less expensive than tablets from the competition. OTOH, tablets from the other guys are more expensive than their laptops and are also more expensive than the iPad. And just to see how high the rumble can bounce, we see that Apple has a significant price advantage in the thin laptop form factor. Just last week, we saw the Windows OEMs pulling their hair out over Apple's MacBook Air. The retail price of the MBA is about the same the production costs for Windows laptops based on Intel's reference platform designed with compete with the MBA.

Do I for one femtosecond believe that Apple would try to compete with Canon, Sony, or Panasonic in this market? No. Apple is less likely to get into the camcorder business than it is to revive its printer business.

12. winston1236 macrumors 68000

no, because there would likely only be one setting and it would be made of an uncomfortable to hold aluminum frame.

13. Tiggs macrumors 6502

Maybe but I think pigs will fly first before Apple ever offers one.

14. chrono1081, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Right because iPods, iPhones, Apple TV's, and iPads only work with Macs *rolls eyes*. (EDIT: Crap! MisterMe already posted that.)

To the OP, no I would not and Apple would never make one. I would go with whatever system supports the lenses I currently have so I'd be sticking with Canon if I went with a video camera or find a camera that I can adapt my lenses to.

15. jegi thread starter macrumors newbie

Simplification

What Apple does best is simplify the complex.

What camcorders need now is:

1. Much faster communications: Thunderbolt!

2. A recording format that is high quality HD, compact and editable.

3. An affordable 3 sensor design.

Who else do you think can do all three in the same camcorder (other than Apple)?

I'm not a shill for Apple, just a frustrated amateur videographer.

jegi