Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an Apple wearable that doesn't look like a watch?

• Yes, I don't mind if it looks nothing like a watch, bring on the future.

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • No, I would only wear it if it was like a watch, I want fashion and jewelry look.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Almost certainly in the future we will have other lines of wearables if it's successful.

Some want a classic looking watch, a piece of jewelry while others may want a wearable with a complete departure from a watch like look, maybe fully wrap around band with larger screen, a watch band that serves for more than just fashion.

So....would you wear something that is a departure from a classic watch look? Maybe larger screen, something futuristic, bendable screen, etc...

I never wore a watch, I wouldn't mind something completely outside of the box.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
All of my varied tech needs are very well served by my current selection of Apple Laptops, Pads , Phones and my one year old Mac Pro.

Nothing about Apple Watch or any other conceivable wearable appeals to me.

That may change in time, but the benefit would have to be very compelling.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'd certainly consider wearing something that was just more like a band and was very minimal. The sensors and the microphone that connects to Siri are, to me, the most interesting long term aspects of the wearables. Removing the screen would increase battery life significantly. Now the watch is still more appealing to me. But an Apple band at a cheaper price point, but with a full assortment of sensors for health readings. And interaction ability, like Apple Pay and other things (like the ability to unlock my front door) would be neat enough that I'd consider it.

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
I'd wear a brooch with a camera, not to record video, but to identify and keep track of my things. So one day in the future, I'll be able to ask Siri "where did I leave my keys?" without having to have a bluetooth tracker on them. Or have it identify faces so I can discretely look at my watch for a reminder of the name of the person in front of me, and where I last ssaw them.

AbeFrohman

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
When the wild speculations began regarding what the (then-named) iWatch would look like, we saw curved screens on what looked like a cuff style bracelet, not a traditional watch shape. If/when they come out with that, I'm all over it. Until then, I'm looking forward to the form function they did create. Countdown to April 24 . . . .

Torq

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I'd prefer it not look like a watch at all.

I'm not going to start wearing an Apple Watch over my collection of Swiss mechanical exotica, nor even my tool-watches. Nor am I going to wear two watches at once.

A band, though ... that'd work.

I'll have to see it in person ... maybe the 38mm Sport on a black rubber band will look sufficiently "band" like.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Watches are a 19th century obsession. They really need to go away and not reinvented.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Watches are a 19th century obsession. They really need to go away and not reinvented.

Agreed! Seeing the ages that are buying this, and the fact I bet many buyers have never worn a watch. I think they are missing the potential of crushing the watch name and form factor for good.

The watches time has come and gone, I don't particularly like the name Apple watch, it's like calling my iPad a calculator:D

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
If anything, I'd prefer what they were going for now. Apple can make a wonderful UI and has some excellent software, even with their recent ball drops, so I wouldn't want to see that wasted.

If it was something more like a band, there are some really great products that are out there already and I don't necessarily need all Apple electronics to be happy.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Some of you are hilarious. I wear a normal watch. Right now, if It were exactly the same with the addition of skipping tracks in Spotify without me having to touch my phone, I'd take it in a heartbeat. That one feature alone sells me on the Apple Watch. I've just been waiting for one that works well with iOS.

I feel a lot of people on these forums are unable to get past the price and realize the utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.